Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
Just getting back to riding after 25 years. Took a break that ended up being extra long. I’m from KY, I work on my own cars, but never on a motorcycle before. Just bought a 05 Vulcan 750. It’s been a stumper for me so far. Although I’ve searched the forums, I haven’t found this exact issue. Bike doesn’t crank. Starter is fine, solenoid is fine, but no power to the start button. Had both handlebar switch clusters off, cleaned contacts, nothing. When I turn the key, I get neutral light and marker lamps, no headlight. Checked the clutch safety switch and it seems to be working. Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Welcome to the machine!

There's a wiring diagram in the electrical section. Haven't looked just now but I know the start button gets power from the kill switch. Maybe the kill switch is stuck or broken?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Check for positive voltage at the red wire of the ignition coils, which are also "downstream" of the kill switch. Might help identify where power is getting lost without having to pull apart the handle again.

The closest systems upstream from the kill switch is the horn and the dash lights. If they're working, then kill switch is a good bet. If not, then it's probably the ignition switch contacts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the machine!

There's a wiring diagram in the electrical section. Haven't looked just now but I know the start button gets power from the kill switch. Maybe the kill switch is stuck or broken?
Thanks. No power to the kill switch
Check for positive voltage at the red wire of the ignition coils, which are also "downstream" of the kill switch. Might help identify where power is getting lost without having to pull apart the handle again.

The closest systems upstream from the kill switch is the horn and the dash lights. If they're working, then kill switch is a good bet. If not, then it's probably the ignition switch contacts.
Thank you. Horn and dash lights work, but no power to the kill switch. I’ll check the ignition switch next

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
There's some info on the forum on cleaning the "puck" in the ignition switch, slightly stretching the springs can help too. Just catch everything when you get it open.

Used to be a youtube video but I haven't been able to find it lately.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's some info on the forum on cleaning the "puck" in the ignition switch, slightly stretching the springs can help too. Just catch everything when you get it open.

Used to be a youtube video but I haven't been able to find it lately.
Thanks. Took the puck apart and cleaned it, still no joy on power to the kill switch. Thinking about posting video with everything I’ve done/checked so far. Think that might help?

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
No power on the yellow/red at the kill switch?

Almost has to be the ign switch or one of the wires, either the yellow off the ign switch or the yellow/red from there to the kill switch.

Maybe check the plug real close.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Ditto on what Spockster said. Sounds like a bad connector or broken wire. Are you able to put a tester on the ignition puck where the yellow wire connects?

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Yes, check for power on the yellow at the switch, then follow to the plug where the yellow connects to the yellow/red.

Can also check both ends of the yellow/red for continuity (ohms).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No power on the yellow/red at the kill switch?

Almost has to be the ign switch or one of the wires, either the yellow off the ign switch or the yellow/red from there to the kill switch.

Maybe check the plug real close.

Checked the puck from the connector to the contacts, tests good unless I messed it up somehow. There is power to the black/white wire in the ignition connector and power in the white wire that is outside the connector but inside the ignition switch harness. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ditto on what Spockster said. Sounds like a bad connector or broken wire. Are you able to put a tester on the ignition puck where the yellow wire connects?
Checked the puck from the connector to the contacts, tests good unless I messed it up somehow. There is power to the black/white wire in the ignition connector and power in the white wire that is outside the connector but inside the ignition harness.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
If there's no power to the yellow at the back of the switch, it would appear the switch isn't working.

The brown/white and white are part of the charging system. Didn't see black/white at the switch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts