Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Just a regular guy
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a Yusa MF battery online and the instructions are kinda vague. Is there anything special I should know?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Not that i know of. Mine said no pre-charge needed. You could if you wanted just give it a 2amp charge for a few hours, and install. Mines almost a year old, havnt charged it once. even after sitter 2 months in the winter, the bike spun over and fired up instantly.

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Mine needed to have the electrolyte installed and then a full trickle charge applied. Even if you've never done that before, it's easy. Once you remove the strip of tape that covers the battery you will see the sharp protrusions inside each chamber that will poke through the electrolyte chambers once you push down on them. It won't spill out, don't worry. Just place the battery on a strong level surface that doesn't wobble and where you won't accidentally knock into it while it settles for a while. Also, charge the battery before you place the permanent cover on. Just place the cover strip over the holes without pushing down on it, until the charger indicates that the charge is complete.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
I don't know about the Yuasa battery, but I have had problems with a couple of MF batteries that had to be filled, then sealed. When I get a MF battery, I want it ready to go. That is why I get WestCo batteries. I've had excellent luck with them. I did get one that was DOA, I called them, and 2 days later, had a new one on my doorstep, no questions asked. Can't beat that. Haven't had any problems with the replacement. I used to charge new motorcycle batteries with 1 amp for 24 hours before I installed them if possible, now that I have a Battery Tender Jr. for all of my bikes, I go ahead and install the battery, including the pigtail for the Battery Tender, then leave it connected for 24 hours. On a new battery, the light should turn green right away, and according to the instructions that came with the battery tenders, that means fully charged.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Yuasa is a good brand and quality product. My Yuasa is going on its 4th year, without issue. No indication that it will give up the ghost anytime soon. Yes, their instructions are not the best (language barrier is my guess why). Follow Rubyrick instructions or hit Youtube for a video.

·
Just a regular guy
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so I filled and charged the battery.... It doesn't fit. I double checked and it seems to be the correct one. the only difference I see is that is bears the #YXT14-BS instead of #YXT14AHL-BS. I tried again searching and evertime I look up the number recommended it comes up without the "AHL". Is this a common problem?

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Ok, so I filled and charged the battery.... It doesn't fit. I double checked and it seems to be the correct one. the only difference I see is that is bears the #YXT14-BS instead of #YXT14AHL-BS. I tried again searching and evertime I look up the number recommended it comes up without the "AHL". Is this a common problem?
The difference should be in the height. The L is 5 1/4 x 3 1/2 x 6 1/2. The B2 is 5 1/4 x 3 1/2 x 7

Check this site for cross reference. You can scroll down and click on ETX 15 and it will show the B2 battery
http://www.tristatebattery.com/product_info.php?cPath=36_96_235&products_id=977

·
Just a regular guy
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My problem is width, I need about 1 more inch....

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
My problem is width, I need about 1 more inch....
All I can say is that a 5 1/4 x 3 1/2 x 6 1/2 battery fits perfect in my battery box. I just went down in my basement and measured the battery.

·
Just a regular guy
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't we all.......

Sounds like you got the wrong battery. Call them up and have them fix it. (did you order the wrong one?)
I knew I was setting myself up with that one...:smiley_th

I don't think I ordered the wrong one. I guess that is my question... Is there a difference in YXT14AHL-BS and YXT14-BS? every time I look up YXT14AHL-BS it comes back with YXT14-BS.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
I knew I was setting myself up with that one...:smiley_th

I don't think I ordered the wrong one. I guess that is my question... Is there a difference in YXT14AHL-BS and YXT14-BS? every time I look up YXT14AHL-BS it comes back with YXT14-BS.
YES YES YTX14BS is 3/4 inch too long. WILL NOT WORK
YTX14AHL-BS is 3/4 inch shorter and WILL WORK :doh:

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
Well, don't know where you are looking , but I went to 3 diffrent websites selling Yussa batteries and punched in Vulcan 750 and they gave me the YXT14AHL-BS for the AGM option.

One of the sites when I looked showed that the battery you say you got was discontinued.... But it was not listed for this bike.

So the question is, did they list it wrong or did you just read it wrong? Either way, you got the wrong battery.

·
Just a regular guy
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I searched through Google and bought it through and Amazon retailer. I sent an email about a return/refund, but I am not hopeful.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I purchased the Yuasa YXT14AHL-BS in 2008 for my 2006 model and it fit fine. Yuasa must have changed the dimensional specs on the YXT14AHL-BS since then.

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
I purchased the Yuasa YXT14AHL-BS in 2008 for my 2006 model and it fit fine. Yuasa must have changed the dimensional specs on the YXT14AHL-BS since then.
No they didn't re read his post... He does not have a YXT14AHL-BS.... He has a YXT14-BS.....completely different battery.

RIF

·
Registered
77 Posts
So a YTX14AHL-BS will fit in a 1986 Vulcan 750? I ask because I just ordered one today from Amazon.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts