Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well before too long I am going to replace my 3yr old Orig. battery, and will go the MF route, so my question is...
Which MF battery is the best and or with the most CCAs, I always did like to use the strongest batteries I could get in my cars, trucks, mowers & whatever... I see the Big Crank ETX15L advertised @ $71.17 with shipping to my zip code, is that a good one at a good price and the right one...?????
Need a bit of help on the cycle battery as I have never bought a MF cycle battery...TIA
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Well before too long I am going to replace my 3yr old Orig. battery, and will go the MF route, so my question is...
Which MF battery is the best and or with the most CCAs, I always did like to use the strongest batteries I could get in my cars, trucks, mowers & whatever... I see the Big Crank ETX15L advertised @ $71.17 with shipping to my zip code, is that a good one at a good price and the right one...?????
Need a bit of help on the cycle battery as I have never bought a MF cycle battery...TIA
That is a great battery, you will be very happy with it. :rockon:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I worked at advance auto and bought a sealed battery there...its on its second year...no problems...dont have to screw with filling or charging...its ready to go and was only 65 retail price. My bike sat in a unheated garage all winter and fired up with no problems...

·
Registered
738 Posts
It seems by the every present battery threads that the concesus on this forum is clear. Buy a modern, high quality AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) maintenance free battery and you will be a very happy rider. Expect to pay $70-ish, which is a good investment considering you never have to worry about starting power again.

I found a Yuasa YTX14AHL-BS (another good name in batteries) locally for $65, freshly mixed and sealed on site, but not fully charged and I don't own a charger. So, I spent 10 minutes on the Internet and got it for $80 delivered and fully charged. Now I'm one of those happy riders!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
It seems by the every present battery threads that the concesus on this forum is clear. Buy a modern, high quality AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) maintenance free battery and you will be a very happy rider. Expect to pay $70-ish, which is a good investment considering you never have to worry about starting power again.

I found a Yuasa YTX14AHL-BS (another good name in batteries) locally for $65, freshly mixed and sealed on site, but not fully charged and I don't own a charger. So, I spent 10 minutes on the Internet and got it for $80 delivered and fully charged. Now I'm one of those happy riders!
FWIW, I would have bought the $65 local battery and picked up a small charger or tender for $30-40 and charged it myself. I`ve had a little 2-4 amp self regulating charger, with a gauge, for close to 35 years. It has saved the day many times when my auto battery was weak and probably wouldn`t have cranked the beast over on a cold Alberta morning to go to work. Just having it to put on overnight saved me a lot of trouble, until I could put a new battery in. If you have a charger, you don`t worry about running the battery down so much when doing repairs, etc., if you are constantly trying to start it, as you have the means at hand, and don`t have to take it to a garage to be recharged.

I guess what it boils down to, is that having the charger, and other tools, makes me feel a sense of independance and self sufficiency. :smiley_th

However if the $80 battery makes you a happy rider, more power to ya. Enjoy the ride. :rockon:

·
Registered
738 Posts
FWIW, I would have bought the $65 local battery and picked up a small charger or tender for $30-40 and charged it myself. I`ve had a little 2-4 amp self regulating charger, with a gauge, for close to 35 years. It has saved the day many times when my auto battery was weak and probably wouldn`t have cranked the beast over on a cold Alberta morning to go to work. Just having it to put on overnight saved me a lot of trouble, until I could put a new battery in. If you have a charger, you don`t worry about running the battery down so much when doing repairs, etc., if you are constantly trying to start it, as you have the means at hand, and don`t have to take it to a garage to be recharged.

I guess what it boils down to, is that having the charger, and other tools, makes me feel a sense of independance and self sufficiency. :smiley_th

However if the $80 battery makes you a happy rider, more power to ya. Enjoy the ride. :rockon:
Sorry, I should have added that I moved from a house with 2 bay garage (outside of Boston, MA), where I did all my own auto/mechanical maintenance to an apartment building (in Portland, OR). My wife and I downsided and as part of that I sold all my shop equipment. Now my vehicles are parked in an underground garage complex where working on them and access to electrical outlet is not possible. So, I would have to remove the battery and haul it up to my apartment every time I wanted to apply the charger. Therefore, a top quality battery, in my situation, becomes a necessity.

By the way the Yuasa AGM battery will self charge to about 60%-70% power level when first mixed, without any external input. I'm sure other AGM's self charging characteristics are similar. So, I could have purchased the fresh mixed battery, let it self charge, prayed that it starts the bike (or jumped it using the old battery) and gone for a long ride to charge the new battery. However, the purpose of buying a new AGM battery was to reduce the load on the charging system, not introduce it (even for a short while).

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, Hiker thats the place I was speaking of, $57.95+$13.22 shippingto 37398 zip = $71.17...
That will probably be where I get mine also...
Thanks and have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Lebanon, NJ
437 Posts
Yea, it's a great battery. My 3rd year now with it. Also, it comes with some sort of red plastic thingy that can be used for height adjustment. I never bothered to figure it out so I just used some wood paint stirrers broken to about 3" as shims to keep it all tight. I think I put the shims under the battery.

It will come fully charged too.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Folks, I believe that is the route I will go...

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What about this battery??? http://www.batterystuff.com/batteries/motorcycle/YTX14AHL-BS.html ---It says 210CCA against 190CCA for the Big Crank...
About the same price, at least not much difference when the shipping is figured in... Would the 20 extra CCAs make any noticeable difference????

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
What about this battery??? http://www.batterystuff.com/batteries/motorcycle/YTX14AHL-BS.html ---It says 210CCA against 190CCA for the Big Crank...
About the same price, at least not much difference when the shipping is figured in... Would the 20 extra CCAs make any noticeable difference????
As of september of last year East Penn the company that makes Deka and Big Crank batteries upped the amps to 210. :smiley_th

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As of september of last year East Penn the company that makes Deka and Big Crank batteries upped the amps to 210. :smiley_th
Oh, OK-Thanks that would make them equal then, where I was looking at the Big Crank it listed it as 190... I will just stick with the guns on the Big Crank as it seems to be the choice, its good to know it is now 210 CCAs though, thanks...:)...

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Lance, you are right where I was looking "Battery Mart" http://xrl.us/beipab they still give 190CCAs...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts