Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, been anonymously browsing this forum for a couple weeks now. I have recently picked up a '94 vn750 that is in very rough shape. it has not been turned over in more than a year, and has quite a bit of rust on it. Blown fork seals, and throttle is completely locked.

My main question is about the first problem I am trying to diagnose. The original battery on it had a very small amount of juice left, and the cluster would turn on, i could honk the horn, but that was about it. I purchased a new battery, hooked it up and then boom, immediately blew the 30a fuse. Purchased a new fuse and it immediately did the same thing, and the cluster wont turn on and receives no power to the ignition switch. Then, i unplugged the r/r and hooked the battery back in and put a new fuse in, and it didn't blow the fuse. So from what my peanut brain can deduce, it has to be something with that r/r. Does that sound correct?

I am very unskilled with electrical issues and this is making my head hurt. Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm most likely going to be posting lots of questions as i want to make sure i do everything thoroughly and correctly.

·
Registered
1986 Vulcan 750
2 Posts
Hey VersaceKarate,

welcome and congrats on your new bike! It sound like you have quite a project on your hands but I can assure you its very rewarding when these bikes are running strong.

As for your electrical issue, it sounds like you could have a bad ground somewhere between the fuse and the connector to the r/r. I would start by inspecting the connector itself and then following the ground wire (black and yellow) and see if there is anything suspicious happening.

Hopefully you see a wire exposed or disconnected!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey VersaceKarate,

welcome and congrats on your new bike! It sound like you have quite a project on your hands but I can assure you its very rewarding when these bikes are running strong.

As for your electrical issue, it sounds like you could have a bad ground somewhere between the fuse and the connector to the r/r. I would start by inspecting the connector itself and then following the ground wire (black and yellow) and see if there is anything suspicious happening.

Hopefully you see a wire exposed or disconnected!
Thank you for the reply! I meant to update this yesterday, but I did find a wire touching bare metal near the drive shaft. After sitting outdoors with no protection I’m sure the weather took its toll. I do appreciate the help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts