Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!!

Proud new owner of a brand new 1986 Vulcan 750 here 馃槃

A little about myself - I am a 28 year old HVAC technician living in Southern New Jersey. Right across the bridge from Philadelphia. I've been riding motorcycles for about 10 years now, my parents raised me to be a Harley guy. Deep down I'm probably still a Harley guy, but I've diversified my tastes over the years and have become a general motorcycle enthusiast. I have little to no experience working on motorcycles other than your basic simple fixes. I've never really fabricated anything before, and i have zero experience welding or anything like that. I do consider myself mechanically inclined since being an hvac tech, i do turn wrenches and work on machinery for a living. I just work on a different kind of machine.

A little about the bike - like i said, it's A 1986 Vulcan 750, it belongs/belonged to a good friend (still need to transfer the title over) The original owner was our high school wood shop teacher. He used to ride with his son, but the son passed away and he gave up riding after that. My friend kept in touch with our teacher after high school and worked for him doing small odd jobs here and there. Eventually our teacher gave him the bike for working for him. Years later, the bike ends up getting stored in my garage since my buddy was moving and had nowhere to put it at the time. About 2 more years go by, the bikes still in my garage, hadn't been turned on in God knows how long. I've been looking at this bike, seeing all kinds of potential to build something spectacular out of it. Last week, i asked my buddy if i could buy it off him and he said i could just have it. Sweet!

So for days now (before joining) I've been reading through these discussions and posts and learning all kinds of stuff about this bike and what can be done. Learning new lingo and seeing what other people do. So here I am ready to learn how to be a motorcycle mechanic. My goal for this bike is to turn it into a bobber, cause you know the world needs another one of those. I'm looking forward to getting this thing going and hopefully there's still quite a few people active in this forum that can teach and guide me through this new project.

Premium Member
Welcome from South Philly, you have come to the right place to find basically anything you need to know about this bike.

Registered
Gotta respond because I'm in West Philly.

Bought an '06 yesterday. I love this thing and look forward to ohm testing and spline lubing or whatever. It's cool that there's such a great community around these machines.

FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
Welcome to the nucking futhouse

Sent from my A501DL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sangheili220

Registered
Welcome here from Washington State. As a 20 year vn750 rider, and going on riding and wrenching 52 years, get a Honda.

Registered
Welcome here from Washington State. As a 20 year vn750 rider, and going on riding and wrenching 52 years, get a Honda.
Boooo! Vulcans are finnicky and sometimes tough to work on but they鈥檙e worth it. He got the Vulcan for free, why not try to get it going and learn to ride?

Welcome to the club OP. We鈥檝e got a lot of knowledge here on getting and keeping these bikes going. Mine is my first and so far only bike and I have learned a lot about wrenching and riding because of it.

Registered
I'm on my 2nd Vulcan when my 1st attempt at an engine rebuild ended with a holy piston. I put 10k on it before I rebuilt it over a stupid coolant leak!
When looking for a replacement bike, I couldn't find anything that could replace it! It's small enough to throw it around in the twisties, but big enough for 400+ miles/day camping trips. It's one of the few cruisers with a tach and it's exceptionally rare in that it has a shaft drive, dual plugs and 4 valves (Harley JUST started doing this in 2017).

I've ridden a Rebel 250, HD Road King, Buell Lightning, Triumph Triple, BMW 1250GS, V-Strom 650, Ninja 500, HD Street Rod 750, Yamaha R1S (Scared the *** out of me), Yamaha Road Star 1600, Triumph Legend TT, Honda Ascot, HD iron 883. I'll ride anything I can. They all have their pluses and minuses, but the Vulcan 750 is like coming home! In my opinion, it's the goldilocks of bikes. It's the only bike I've ever owned, and I've owned 2 of them now.

It has it's share of quirks, but one member managed to get 107k miles on one! Well cared for, it will go the distance! It's a bike that you have to earn it's respect, and not be afraid to turn a wrench or two, but it will reward you with a great ride. There's practically no issue that doesn't have an answer somewhere on this forum.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Here's a few pics of the bike, lookin like it came right out of a junkyard. I think I have my work cut out for me here. Also have an 06 HD Dyna Wide Glide that I'm currently trying to sell, and a Buell 1125R for when I wanna go fast.

Registered
Way to piss in the lemonade chief! But all I鈥檒l say is you said you鈥檙e a 20 yr Vulcan rider. That speaks for itself
Relax, I 鉂 my Vulcans. @ 55k miles she's being passed on to my son. I'll be riding my lowered and mostly naked wing while I'm building another VN to ride with him. Too bad there's so few aftermarket parts for the 750's, this engine would sound great with a 2 into 1 pipe.

Registered
Mine is my first and so far only bike
Chill, please.
On a bike, reliability, ease of maintenance, OEM parts and aftermarket availability (seats, exhaust, tires, bags, fairing...) make the experience. The reference to get a Honda is from this point of view. Oddly, I've been mostly a kawasaki loyalist since 1972. It's a bummer when you look for aftermarket products and can't find much if anything for our Vn's.

Premium Member
Haha it鈥檚 all good man, if I knew what I was getting into before I did it I may have went a different route. In hindsight I鈥檓 glad I got this bike despite the issues I have endured with it. Because when I鈥檓 on it I get reminded of why I did it and I鈥檓 completely guilty of yelling like I鈥檓 on a roller coaster as I fly down the highway!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts