Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my bike last week, its a 1990. runs great, but likes to spit out some oil when you ride and drip just after you ride... as far as I can tell, it appears to be coming from the cover on the left side of the motor that had the oil level sight in it. I am gonna try to pull it off and get some rtv around it. but I am not sure I will be able to pull that without taking the motor out. I ordered some new gaskets today... not sure when they will be in. Any help or suggestions as to go about fixing this?

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
If you are talking about the larger engine cover and not the smaller stater cover, it cannot be easily taken off. You have to pull the engine or do the stator tillting with the engine in the frame, like when the stator has to be changed.

·
Registered
748 Posts
If it's the cover with the sight glass in it, you _can_ get it off without pulling the engine; just takes a bit of patience and some wiggling. I've done it on 4 750s, one of 'em twice.

I'd change the gasket; trying to RTV it usually doesn't work. BTDT...

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I just bought my bike last week, its a 1990. runs great, but likes to spit out some oil when you ride and drip just after you ride... as far as I can tell, it appears to be coming from the cover on the left side of the motor that had the oil level sight in it. I am gonna try to pull it off and get some rtv around it. but I am not sure I will be able to pull that without taking the motor out. I ordered some new gaskets today... not sure when they will be in. Any help or suggestions as to go about fixing this?
If it's the cover with the sight glass in it, you _can_ get it off without pulling the engine; just takes a bit of patience and some wiggling. I've done it on 4 750s, one of 'em twice.

I'd change the gasket; trying to RTV it usually doesn't work. BTDT...
I have not pulled the cover myself, but the Clymer manual agrees with JD that it will come off without pulling the engine from the frame.:smiley_th

Good luck with stopping your steed from marking his territory. Must think it`s a Harley. lol :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a leak to, its either from the sight glass part, or the final drive/bevel gear unit. And its no small leak, I have a puddle about a foot by a foot after my bike sets over night. Can I remove the final drive/bevel gear case without pulling the motor as well?

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
I have a leak to, its either from the sight glass part, or the final drive/bevel gear unit. And its no small leak, I have a puddle about a foot by a foot after my bike sets over night. Can I remove the final drive/bevel gear case without pulling the motor as well?
I think you can but you are probably not leaking from there as there is not much fluids in there.

And for the original question, where was everyone when I asked this last year? Im still leaking but have the gasket already, looks like a weekend project if its nice although I seriously need my bike right now as my truck is blowing oil all over the place. tomorrow starts my yearly commuting rain or shine!!!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya its the part with the sight glass. I got a new gasket coming in the mail. so when it gets here I can take it off and hopefully fix it.... it just sucks cuz its gettin oil over the rear tire.... and ya... after i bought it, a friend say it musta seen a harley do it and wanted to be just like it. lol I will let you know if I get it taken care of. I just hope its not anything else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts