Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Just bought a 2004 750 with 13k on it last night. Really in good shape overall. Have been riding off and on for about 20 years, though less more recently. Which brought me to a completely emotional and irrational purchase! I've had some other makes I rode over the years. Never a big Harley guy. Runs well though the carbs will likely have to be rebuilt, chrome header pipes kind of blue.
As for me, been married for 33 years, have two sons 21 and 27, both still at home..... As for what I do I am a former Protestant minister who is now a cop. As a former Army tank mechanic I've been fixing just about everything I could put my hands on, gives you a good reason to buy a new tool! I'm currently working on a restoration project on a 1980 Camaro Z28. I've already rebuilt the motor, 4 speed, and all the other mechanical stuff. I really enjoy rebuilding stuff. Just waiting on the cash for the body. I'm not a auto body guy, not enough patience.
Anyway, super happy to have a great resource like this forum.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
The pipes get discolored due to these engines being a bit lean from the factory, then add the fact of the carbs getting clogged frequently and that makes it even leaner if you try to ride it out.

Fuel treatment helps a lot with the ethanol in the gas. My carbs have clogged in as little as little as a month. It's been parked two years with Seafoam in the tank, still starts right up, with the AGM battery being almost ten years old.

I'll swear by AGM batteries, got one ATV that hasn't moved since putting the new battery on. Two or three years without a charger, still cranks right up.

My battery tender died, but it seems like it's not needed.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The pipes get discolored due to these engines being a bit lean from the factory, then add the fact of the carbs getting clogged frequently and that makes it even leaner if you try to ride it out.

Fuel treatment helps a lot with the ethanol in the gas. My carbs have clogged in as little as little as a month. It's been parked two years with Seafoam in the tank, still starts right up, with the AGM battery being almost ten years old.

I'll swear by AGM batteries, got one ATV that hasn't moved since putting the new battery on. Two or three years without a charger, still cranks right up.

My battery tender died, but it seems like it's not needed.
Yeah it's definitely the carbs. One of the biggest family jokes about me is every time I buy something with an engine i say it needs the carbs rebuilt! In fact my sister-in-law sent me a text the other day asking "do the carbs need to be rebuilt?" It's an ongoing joke. It actually runs pretty well all things given. Really have to keep the choke on slightly and the throttle response is slow as usual. I will look and see any related threads when I get to that. The Vulcan looks like my old Virago I had before; the carbs are stuffed in the frame under and around everything. Typical layout that takes hours to get them out.

I will likely just be using methanol free gas in it after the rebuild. Around me it goes for about $5.00 a gallon, but removing the problems of methanol is worth it. Especially with the MPG it will get. I won't be taking any really long trips out of state so keeping it clean will be simple.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Yeah it's definitely the carbs. One of the biggest family jokes about me is every time I buy something with an engine i say it needs the carbs rebuilt! In fact my sister-in-law sent me a text the other day asking "do the carbs need to be rebuilt?" It's an ongoing joke. It actually runs pretty well all things given. Really have to keep the choke on slightly and the throttle response is slow as usual. I will look and see any related threads when I get to that. The Vulcan looks like my old Virago I had before; the carbs are stuffed in the frame under and around everything. Typical layout that takes hours to get them out.

I will likely just be using methanol free gas in it after the rebuild. Around me it goes for about $5.00 a gallon, but removing the problems of methanol is worth it. Especially with the MPG it will get. I won't be taking any really long trips out of state so keeping it clean will be simple.
Whoa, five bucks per gallon. Your corny gas can't be far below that, at least here it's only a few cents higher for the e-free gas. We've got one station at $2.89 but most are over $3.

I'll guess you're in California?

I tried a few tanks of e-free and couldn't get an mpg increase, and it's easier to get the corny gas, only one pump locally to get e-free unless you go to a marina. They tend to dislike riding your bike onto the fuel dock.

This bike prefers regular, 87-89 octane.

The earshave makes carb service far easier, I shaved mine right away. I hate working in cramped spaces.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whoa, five bucks per gallon. Your corny gas can't be far below that, at least here it's only a few cents higher for the e-free gas. We've got one station at $2.89 but most are over $3.

I'll guess you're in California?

I tried a few tanks of e-free and couldn't get an mpg increase, and it's easier to get the corny gas, only one pump locally to get e-free unless you go to a marina. They tend to dislike riding your bike onto the fuel dock.

This bike prefers regular, 87-89 octane.

The earshave makes carb service far easier, I shaved mine right away. I hate working in cramped spaces.
Actually I am in New Hampshire, however the $5 a gallon stuff is actually high octane, I can probably get the 94 octane stuff for about $4.25. They also have racing fuel that is like 107 octane I think as well. I only use methanol free in power equipment, snow blowers, etc. The "corny" stuff is obviously fine in my cars and truck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts