Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So - a stupid question

I just bought some pegs to put on my K&S engine guard. The though crossed my mind that when I clamp these things down it's going to bite into the chrome or scratch it (given). Kind of depressing in a way. I guess it would never be seen unless the pegs are removed.

Just wondering if anyone else had this concern or found a way to keep as little damage as possible from happening.

Like I said - dumb question. Just thoughts that run through my head.....:blah:

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Cut a strip the right size from an old inner tube or even the cheap garden hose thats close to the same diameter, and clamp em over that. The rubber will hold it well as long as its clean (use rubbing alcohol to clean it). Clean the chrome under too. The rubber will stick to the chrome well, and wont damage it.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually thought about using rubber (not 'a rubber' but some type of rubber). I wasn't sure if it would allow the peg to slip or not.

Hose of the same diameter is a good idea. So is the one about the inner tube

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Ive used both for over 40 years of biking w/o issues....if youre that worried about slippage, do one wrap with vinyl elec tape, then dab it with a gas soaked rag...will act like a glue...but honestly, clean rubber on clean chrome wont slip....really....Ive used that method as far back as the 70's....I prefer the old inner tube. But ya use what ya got to get back in the wind....

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I actually thought about using rubber (not 'a rubber' but some type of rubber).
ribbed but not lubricated......lol

sorry!! couldn't resist :loser1:

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
One thing is, make sure you have them exactly where you want them the first time before clamping, havin to adjust sorta ain't good... Them tracks always show...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
ok - does anyone have a good picture of how they mounted their highway pegs on the kawi engine guard? I put mine on - as far forward as they would go - and they are pretty much too close to the rear brake pedal and shifter. I'm thinking of flipping them 'up' such that the u-bracket is open upwards (where the bolt will be across the top of the engine guard bar) but I'm still not confident they won't be in the way.

This is what I have
http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/drag-specialties-1-14-inch-clamp-mount-sundance-footpegs-chrome-harley-models/part/DS-253300

Maybe they are just too big. :mad:

Or maybe I need a different bracket to move it somewhere else

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
An update.

I think flipping them "upside down" might give me enough clearance. I've done one - now on to the other - then a test ride. It's either going to be good or not :)

I would still appreciate any pics or thoughts

·
Registered
459 Posts
I actually thought about using rubber (not 'a rubber' but some type of rubber). I wasn't sure if it would allow the peg to slip or not.
Funny. Rubbers are acutally not uncommon in aviation maintenance. Useful for stuff like this or to prevent fuel pickups from getting debris when sealing fuel tanks, etc. They have a practical purpose.

-Robert

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey buddy
I have the same exact ones and I haven't been able to figure it out either. I tried by putting them as far up(away) but the get in the way of my foot brake or shifter. Can you send me a pic of what you have done and especially the way you are saying of putting up?

Thanks

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you can see how mine look in my album:

Thanks kc2dgq - I knew I had seen some good pics of highway pegs - just couldn't remember who's. Thanks

Hey buddy
I have the same exact ones and I haven't been able to figure it out either. I tried by putting them as far up(away) but the get in the way of my foot brake or shifter. Can you send me a pic of what you have done and especially the way you are saying of putting up?

Thanks
I'm going to try mine just the way kc2dgq has his. That's what I mean by "up". The mounting bolt will be on the top side of the bar. So the U-Clamp will be facing up - like a letter "U".

I put the right side like that and it seems like it will be ok - provide enough clearance for the brake pedal. But I haven't ridden yet. As soon as I do the left side I will try it out and let you know. I will send a pic but it will be a couple days.

Thanks to all

Jeff

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Rubbers are acutally not uncommon in aviation maintenance.
We used to use em to cover our pitot tubes when sitting near the (dirt) runway in Cambodia. Sometimes fergot to take em off before takeoff too, lol...
Ooooops...how many knots ??? lol

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
Yea, I,v forgotten all about the "Pre-Flight "deal a couple times too!

·
Registered
3,353 Posts

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
No, haven't seen that yet, lol--But I have had the experence (and I hate to say more than once) of leaving my oil fill cap laying on the battery box! Nose up and about 500 feet alt and well past the end of runway ya start seeing oil splattering all over the wind screen right in front of your face. Talk about the Pucker Effect!!! Not really a big deal as only loose about 1/2 QT of oil, but OMG that 1/2 looks like 5 gals streaming along the left side, and what a mess to clean up. Not only that but having to walk the runway to find the cap and that is at a controlled field. Learned my lesson, no one talkes to me while I'm doing my pre-flight!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts