Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Technically, it's not, ummm, "new"....but it's actually been around for about 2 1/2 years (as of this posting).

For those interested and/or those shopping for a new helmet, the following helmet rating system in Europe is yet another way (besides "Snell" and "ECE") to evaluate a helmet and to see how it measures up against others for helmet performance. The website of course also explains how this system tests helmets. Over 200 helmet models have already been added to its database:

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

In any case, based on what I have read about it, I personally would not buy any new helmet that doesn't have a "Snell 2010" rating.

Hope all this helps make helmet buying easier for someone else out there....:beerchug:

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Thanks for the link. I was just looking at helmets online a couple of hours ago. This will be a big help in narrowing the choices.

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
I have not read anything about how "realistic" their testing proceedures are, but so far they look pretty good.

The real cool thing is being able to pick a helmet, or for that matter a helmet maker, and not only get a rating on a particular model, but a graphic of the helmets strong and week points.

My helmet, a Shoei RF 1000 , (has a different name in the UK) got three stars, they cited a somewhat poorer rating in side impacts, while front and rear were rated good.

This was in fact better than a 250 dollar more ARAI helmet I almost got....but I should point out they both got 3 stars. So do compare impact test particulars, as there can be two helmets rated the same, but still have one that did better. ( Just the problem you run into when using only a 5 point system, you have to bracket the results somewhere. I would preffer a "total point" rating, but that's me)

Again I shoud point out that how well your helmet fits is vastly important, that 500 buck Arai is not going to live up to it's potential if it does not fit your head right. So seek help from a someone trained if you are not sure how the helmet should fit.

KM

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Again I shoud point out that how well your helmet fits is vastly important, that 500 buck Arai is not going to live up to it's potential if it does not fit your head right. So seek help from a someone trained if you are not sure how the helmet should fit.

KM
X2^^^^^^

Bruce Porter is the Arai helmet guy on the Youtube video with Jay Leno who talks about how to get a proper fitting helmet. He says when you go helmet shopping to look for a salesperson with a tape-measure in their hand. Most riders who come to him looking for a new helmet are currently wearing one that is one or even two sizes too big.

Moto journalist Misti Hurst also teaches riding at a track and says that 80% of the students who show up on the first day are wearing a helmet that is too large for them. On many students she can see the helmet wobble when they shake their head. She will take them over to try on loaner helmets, and after riding with one that fits properly they usually comment on how much better it feels. It is easier to see around themselves without the helmet moving, lifting and bouncing on their head. At the end of the day most are committed to buying a well fitted helmet.

People have different head shapes; round, oval, long and skinny, etc. Different makes of helmets seem to be made to fit some head shapes better than others, so try on lots of helmets to find the ones that fit you best.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts