1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Nice, that's a lot like my modular. I think you'll like it.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
so what brought this on?
I've decided that a lot of these people calling me a Soft headed S.O.B. may be right (at least on the soft headed part). I have no Idea who Sweet Old Bob is and cold weather is coming too.:motorcycl Oh yeah I looked BirdHunter"s(AKA Norm Mcdonald) over when you all were down here and liked his.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,724 Posts
that's cool, Denny. there is nothing wrong with wearing a "lid". your right the cold weather is coming and a ff helmet are great for that.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
I like my modular too, real handy especially if you are a smoker!!

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Nuthin wrong with havin one when ya feel ya need it...I keep my old 70s 3/4 Bell Super Magnum just for that....I looked at similar to what ya showed at a dealer...felt a lil claustrophobic, but wasnt too bad....Id get over it....I dont ride much cold weather anymore, and when i do, I put om a WW2 helmet lonrt and slap the half back on....I DO need a newe halfie though....

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,724 Posts
Nuthin wrong with havin one when ya feel ya need it...I keep my old 70s 3/4 Bell Super Magnum just for that....I looked at similar to what ya showed at a dealer...felt a lil claustrophobic, but wasnt too bad....Id get over it....I dont ride much cold weather anymore, and when i do, I put om a WW2 helmet lonrt and slap the half back on....I DO need a newe halfie though....
don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of riders choice! if a rider chooses not to wear a helmet them so be it. I don't feel that the gov. should say if we need to or not. it's riders choice! but there is nothing wrong with wearing one.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like my modular too, real handy especially if you are a smoker!!
and i am,lol

actually I got one mof those three snap visor that flip up for my 3/4 open face and I also have a new Halfie from scorpion I bought earlier this year,and another old halfie I like because it's light.I actually have ridden very little without a helmet this year after seeing a buddy of mine with severe head trauma from a logging accident and he isn't over it yet.He only had a laceration of less than an inch,and was in ICU for 2 weeks,Kinda got my attention.

·
Super Moderator
1,021 Posts
Nice. Like mine real well. On hot days, try cracking the visor a bit. Lets in more air then the vents.

·
Super Moderator
11,866 Posts
I like the optional brake light thing.

Just to note to all....All makers of modular helmets will tell you NOT to ride with the chin bar up. It should always be down and locked when the bike is moving.
The video seems to suggest that riding with it open is OK.

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
I like using my Bell Hornet for sustained rides over 30-40 mph, cold, or when there's a lot of bugs. Think I'd like a modular even better, the tinted inner visor too. I do like being able to ride with the shield up on the Bell.

There's one brand of modular that has a fancy hinge, so the chin bar pivots down closer instead of sticking up and catching air, so at least that one must be designed for use with it open. Can't recall if it was a Nolan, Schubert, or what .. seemed like it was European made.

The half helmet is noisy as heck above 35 mph, and above 40 or so my neck starts looking like Jello, or a Gila monster. I can hear traffic and the engine a lot better with the full face on. Even no helmet is quieter than the half. I did try earplugs once.

Around town when it's hot and sunny, it's hard to beat the half helmet.

Tried on a Scorpion modular at the shop and could find one in my size, they must run smaller than Bell.

·
R/R = Relocated Redneck
628 Posts
I have a Bell Revolver that I like, but it's a bit heavy compared to my ff shoei, noisier and doesn't flow as much air either. It's a compromise thing though. I prefer the ff to an open face and wouldn't ride without a helmet at all. Just me though, is personal preference.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
I'm pretty sure the one I saw was a Nolan, made in Italy for sure. The chin bar stopped above the forehead like a bill, but tucked back and in, laid down close to the helmet. Would have been at least a couple of years old. It was on an auction site and I Googled it to see what I could dig up.

http://www.nolanhelmets.com/nolan-n104-helmets.htm

http://www.nolanhelmets.com/

The (patented) chin guard rotation movement with elliptical trajectory makes it possible to keep the total size of the helmet's front section to a minimum, when the chin guard is open. The "sail" effect is consequently highly reduced and riding comfort is still guaranteed, even when the chin guard is lifted.

The exclusive (patented) DUAL ACTION chin guard opening system is positioned in the center of the chin guard, allowing for easy, one-handed opening.

·
Super Moderator
11,866 Posts
I'm pretty sure the one I saw was a Nolan, made in Italy for sure. The chin bar stopped above the forehead like a bill, but tucked back and in, laid down close to the helmet. Would have been at least a couple of years old. It was on an auction site and I Googled it to see what I could dig up.

http://www.nolanhelmets.com/nolan-n104-helmets.htm

http://www.nolanhelmets.com/
Ah, I see. I did some research into the whole "chin bar up" thing and discovered no set answer here. What did seem clear is no one believes its a good idea to ride with a chin bar in the up position......unless it locks in that position.

It is true that many don't, and many stick up enough to catch serious air at speed. Obviously your not just defeating the point of having face protection, but also risking neck injury if you crash. Some helmets when the chin bar is up don't protect the jaw as much as a real open face helmet.

To be sure here a shot an email to Keith Knudson at NolanUSA asking "if they make any modular helmets you can ride with the chin bar up?"

His reply:

"Dear Sir,

Thank you for contacting us at CIMA.

The N90 and the N-104 both have a lock on them that allows you to ride with the chin bar open.

Yours truly,
Keith Knudson"

So appearently this is the only? critira they go by.

My advise here then is to simply read the instructions that come with your helmet. Just don't assume it's safe to ride with the front flipped up unless you see it in writing from the maker of the helmet.

:)

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
I ride with a Nolan N-104. At speed (55 mph plus) with the faceshield/chinbar up I can feel the additional wind resistance when I turn my head but generally I can't notice any difference with it up or down as far as the wind goes. With my eye condition strong wind usually makes my eyes tear up (don't even like ceiling fans because of my eyes) so I usually require full face protection at higher speeds. The flip up helmet is much easier to put on without removing my glasses and the built in sun visor is helpful when driving into the wind.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The details on this helmet say it does lock in the up position,and it supposedly has metal latching mechanism. This was two requirements for me in a modular. I believe this will probably be my primary helmet.

Like a ninny I ordered it on a holiday weekend so it didn't ship till Tues. It is supposed to arrive Monday,I give you all, the good ,bad and the ugly on it after wearing a few rides.

Word of mouth from people on here is generally more accurate than the little reviews printed out for us to view anyway.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
A quick update. I received the new helmet and looked it over rather thoroughly.It appears to be very well made, fit and finish is very good.

Now for the biggie .The temp was close to 90 here yesterday so I thought trial by heat and humidity would be the true test of whether I would wear this helmet more than one of my others.Ha ,fooled you all, didn't I ? I actually own several,from halfies to old school open face and another FF.This is my first modular.Off into the heat I go.

My first impression was how well I could see. This helmet has a larger eye port than my other FF,as a matter of fact, I lost NO peripheral vision with this one.One good thing already ,going down the road I noticed how absolutely quiet this helmet is, good thing number two. Riding behind the fairing and windshield my head sticks up above the windshield just enough to see over the windshield.This helmet has 5 vents in the front,4 in the rear ,three of which are in the lower front.The air flows through the top over my head is fantastic almost like not having one on ,the lower vents not so much but I tend to blame that on the dead air zone behind the windshield,I'll let you know more about that when I try it on Ted's Sport bike . Opening the visor one notch adds a lot more air to flow around the lower part and doesn't really raise the noise level much at all. That makes three good things.

The internal sunshade is a nice feature. I like the fact that it is fully adjustable and you can drop it however far you need it and it stays there. The chin bar release is easy to use and it locks in the up position,no worrying about it falling down if you are riding slow in traffic. It is also easy to drop it down into the locked position with one hand,So far no bad things to say about this helmet.The only inconvenient thing I found so far is the slide adjuster for the inner sunscreen is not accessible with the chinbar in the raised position,so you better have it where you want it before you raise the chin bar. I will note I removed the chin curtain simply because of the heat factor ,cold weather will probably see it re-installed.

The rear LED light is easy to operate with gloves on but turn it on before you put it on because if you don't , you have no Idea if you push it twice and have it blinking or not. I personally want it on all the time and not blinking. The LED should be brighter as I believe it will be virtually useless in the daylight on a cloudy day or the rain it will probably be visible but I don't know. Gmax sells a brake light kit that is about thirty bucks that I probably won't buy because I already have a very bright led brake light on the trunk and feel the brake lights are plenty bright and easily seen on my bike if I didn't I would probably go for it.

All the controls for the vents and chinbar are easily operated with gloves on as well.

Overall ,I am very pleased with this purchase and would be willing to recommend it to any one who is looking for a modular.Will it completely replace my Scorpion EXO 100 ? Probably not,but it will receive a lot more use this fall and will probably be my first choice now.A very good helmet for the money is how I would describe it. I give it both thumbs up.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts