Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy has a set of bars that I think will look good on my bike. Problem is, I can't figure out how to remove the stock grips without cutting them off. I don't want to buy a new set of grips, so if I can't get them off without killing them it's not worth it.

·
Registered
738 Posts
A buddy has a set of bars that I think will look good on my bike. Problem is, I can't figure out how to remove the stock grips without cutting them off. I don't want to buy a new set of grips, so if I can't get them off without killing them it's not worth it.
I removed mine using simple rubbing alcohol. Simply peel back the inner edge of the grip from the bar, pour in rubbing alcohol, then gently twist to work it in. Keep repeating to work the alcohol down the length of the grip (about 3 or 4 pours of alcohol). At some point the grip will slide right off. Took about 3 minutes per grip. Wipe off any glue residue, let dry and reattach using hair spray.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Mineral spirits is what my dad uses when he is replacing golf club grips...that might work too. Also, try using a hair dryer to loosen up any adhesive on there so they can come off a little easier.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
I used WD40. I just peeled it back a bit, shot some in there with the straw thing, and would keep pushing the straw in further until it was all the way in. At that point, the grip came right off. I wiped it down, and it installed fine, and grips fine.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,193 Posts
Extra Virgin or Light?

A little balsamic vinegar and some crushed garlic and you got a salad....
Extra virgins are hard to come by(literally lol)

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,193 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright, I got them off. Thanks guys, all it took was 220 gallons of vegetable oil (i didn't have enough olive oil on hand) they slid right off and my seat looks brands new...only problem is my exhaust smells like French fries now...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts