Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm pretty new in the bike world, this question maybe dumb but I gotta ask. How do I know what shocks are right for my bike. Never replaced them and just got the bike after 10 years of sitting. When I ride and hit s bump I feel like my back is gonna break. There is no suspension in the shocks at all is what it feels like. So I want to get new shocks but have no idea what I'm doing. Help?

·
Super Moderator
12,072 Posts
Shocks are sold by length, spring rate, and what type of mount your bike uses.

Most Japanese bikes use "eye" mounts...meaning each end of the shock has an "eye" that slides over a frame mounted stud.
Depending on what you weigh, what extra weight you plan on adding, and if you have a passenger or not, is how you figure out what spring rate you will need.
Most aftermarket shock makers have guides to help you on what spring to use.

The stock Vulcan 750 had 12.5" length shocks (measured eye center to eye center)

So, first, how much do you and whatever luggage you plan on adding weigh? What type of roads do you have to deal with? And, most importantly, how much do you want to spend. Decent shocks can cost from $200 up to $700.

I found a pair of slightly used Progressive 412 shocks for about $120. But new they are about twice that. Check out Progressive, Work Performance, and Hagon's web sites to see what's available and at what cost.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,334 Posts
what is the adjustable damper on the top set on?

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So i can't see what the damper is set on wether 1-2-3-4 I can't see those marking, Also, I have no idea if these even have oil and air in them. I feel every bump. All together I think I will load it up to about 250 lbs. it's so damn stiff..

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,334 Posts
try turning the top to see if it moves.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,334 Posts
https://goo.gl/images/Qx8wcz
check this pic.shows the top.also check how much air pressure is in them.maybe they're not stock? take a pic if ya got time

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are stock, I was reading other forums that speculate it could just be the springs and that I do not need to add air. Also if I do refill the rear shocks with oil, what oil do I or should I use

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,334 Posts
I said to check the air pressure to see if there's too much air,which will make it stiff.as far as I know Kawasaki only made one spring for the 750.haven't heard of different spring rates.they might have,but I don't think so.

Reactions: Paulywog

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did oil change and did not add air to shocks. Haven't rode it yet to test it out because I'm having battery problems

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,334 Posts
umm,are you talking rear shocks,or front forks?

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,334 Posts
Rear shocks
thought so.I'll pull up some threads later for you on air pressure. can't right now,my boss hates when I use my phone at work

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,334 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Matthew,I too had stock shock problems,they were old and no longer held air,changing the preload 1to 4 on top didn't help. So I was lucky to find a set of Progressive 412s from a member(thanks emtdon) for $100. They helped improve the ride as well as lowering,they were 11in. center to center. With a cheap wrench you can adjust the preload on the spring,1 to 5. Do as suggested and check out the places,such as Progressive Shocks,etc. mentioned above. Sometimes you can find a deal but I was very pleased with the Progressive shocks.As were other members when I was having problems. I didn't catch what year your bike is,mine is a 91 and rides fine now. Good luck,let us know how you decide.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts