Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

New guy who needs advice

6K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  Swagman 
#1 ·
I've had my 2006 vn750 for almost 2 years now but haven't had time to modify it to suit me. now that i'm done remodeling the house i have some time to tackle this bike. i realize that all my questions have certainly already been addressed before on this forum but here are my predicaments:

this bike seems to have virtually no aftermarket parts available. so i bought a stock seat from ebay and have already started messing with it (i can't stand how the stock seat looks with that ugly backrest thing sticking up.) i cut the backrest off and folded the vinyl covering back and under the seat and stapled it down. now i have to figure out how to secure the seat because i have removed the chrome sissybar thing and the storage box. i have actually been riding the bike with this seat just sitting there, which probably isn't advisable but oh well. ideally i need to make this modified seat easily interchangeable with the stock seat because when my wife wants to ride with me, she's got to have the backrest.

another problem: i'm tall. about 6 foot 2 inch tall. i need to get my feet further forward. i want a cheap set of footpegs that are easily installed.

also, i don't like the position of the handlebars. a little too high and a little too close to me. i want something lower and further forward. are drag bars what i need?

if i de-baffle my mufflers, do i need to get the bike rejetted?

it probably sounds like i hate this bike. i don't. i got a great deal on it, so i decided to buy my first motorcycle. i like it, and with these changed i would love it.

See less See more
#2 ·
another problem: i'm tall. about 6 foot 2 inch tall. i need to get my feet further forward. i want a cheap set of footpegs that are easily installed.

Recommend you purchase the standard engine guard and mount whatever foot pegs you like to it.

also, i don't like the position of the handlebars. a little too high and a little too close to me. i want something lower and further forward. are drag bars what i need?

Have you tried rotating the stock bars forward? That's what the PO of my project bike did, and he was a little taller than you.
There are a few custom stainless steel grille covers available. Look for the thread Mike's Custom Grille in the Equipment section of the forum. PM me if you are interested.

#3 ·
thank you for the suggestions. i'll check out that engine guard. i found some foot pegs on ebay that i love.

ebay item# 370367403719

they look like they would easily bolt onto anything.

as far as moving the handlebar position: no i have not tried that. not a bad idea. im afraid they might still be up too high for my liking, but its worth a shot.

#8 ·
thank you for the suggestions. i'll check out that engine guard. i found some foot pegs on ebay that i love.

ebay item# 370367403719
Yes, those pegs look nice http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...70367403719&_osacat=0&bkBtn=&_fvi=1&viewitem=

You wouldn't need an engine guard (which really doesn't serve as a true engine guard) with those. That is, providing that they will project far enough to put your feet in a good position. If you get them, post a picture as I'm sure others here might like to get them too.

#4 ·
if i de-baffle my mufflers, do i need to get the bike rejetted?
Nope, the consensus seems to be that none of the exhaust mods require rejets

#5 ·
I have a set of debaffled mufflers that will be available soon. Have your present ones been drilled or changed from stock in any way...might be interested in a swap.
Mine are 2005 stock with baffles removed and a short straight pipe added.
Me? I'm going for QUIET!!
Bat

#6 ·
Bat-

Yes, I might be interested in a swap. Yours sound more appealing to me and mine sound more appealing to you. Yes mine are completely stock and un-modified. As soon as I get a chance to post some pics I can show you how they look. They are a bit discolored in places. They have never been cleaned and polished on a regular basis. There is also a spot where it appears that someone rested the heel of their boot on the right muffler. There is a bit of black rubber melted onto the pipe near the brake lever.

The only problem with swapping will be having to park the bike for a few days or a week while the parts are in shipping. oh well. Do you have photos of yours? I'm looking for a little more rumble, and also the added strait pipe sounds like it would look nice. I'm curious how that looks.

km60155- thanks for the info. glad to hear if i do exhaust work that i dont have to have the added expense of rejetting.

#9 · (Edited)
Bat-

Yes, I might be interested in a swap. Yours sound more appealing to me and mine sound more appealing to you. Yes mine are completely stock and un-modified. As soon as I get a chance to post some pics I can show you how they look. They are a bit discolored in places. They have never been cleaned and polished on a regular basis. There is also a spot where it appears that someone rested the heel of their boot on the right muffler. There is a bit of black rubber melted onto the pipe near the brake lever.
Here is a piece from the Vulcan verses that may help to clean the rubber off the pipes. I think it was Hyperbuzzin who sent me a link to JCPenny (edit correction), JC Whitney) a while back with some chrome heat shields selling for $10-12, to protect that short length of exhaust pipe. I can`t find it now, but a search on JC Whitney could.

Edit: correction to JC Whitney. Thanks for catching that km60155)

Vulcan Verses
Removing melted plastic from Exhaust
Quote:

Q: Today I took the bike out for a ride. It was a very windy day, while I was going down the road the wind blew a small clear plastic bag and it caught on my right exhaust where it comes out of the engine and stuck and melted on it. Is there anyway to get it off easily? Any recommendations!

A: I use the very finest steel wool money can buy (0000 I think) and Turtle Wax chrome polish at the same time. Others have used razor blades. Still others have used wood "scrapers" when the pies are really hot to get it off or even a cotton cloth to wipe it off while you re-melt it with engine heat... Others - who I think are psycho - have used oven cleaner. The reason I think they are psycho is if you get even a hint of a drop on the aluminum OR the paint, the surface is permanently toast. Some spray it on a cloth FAR away from the bike and then walk over and rub the mark off - usually while the pipe is hot. Be careful not to scratch that chrome. I have NEVER scratched the chrome with my steel wool method, but some say it can be done. I've done it that way exclusively for rust, plastic, boot marks, bugs, etc... for 2 years now.

Caution on the engine guard. Some guys with big feet have reported the engine guard is restrictive to moving feet around and shifting. Just a warning to check fit for yourself before spending any $$$.

#10 ·
One guy I know swears by oven cleaner. Apply while the pipes are hot, give it the recommended amount of time, and just wipe off. No damage to the chrome at all.

#12 ·
It will probably be Tuesday before I can talk to the mechanic who is doing the work on my bike...usually I do it myself, but know nothing about this bike and would like to have it done right the first time at least. When I can get the stock, baffleless mufflers off and find a way to ship them, I will let you know, and you can get yours on the way to me then...I'll ship ground, cheapest way, either UPS or USPS, whatever is least.
Don't worry about the discoloration...I think I can live with that better than the noise!
Perhaps the oven cleaner trick will work, as long as they aren't dented or badly scratched, I think we've got a deal. Mine are perfectly beautiful to look at...you'll be happy with them...might want to look at baffles to mellow out the tone...they're really raucous...but if that's your thing, go for them!
Bat

#13 ·
Bat-

Do you have any photos of your pipes that you could post?

Does anyone know how long it takes to remove the exhaust pipes? Just glancing things over it looks pretty simple. I'm assuming i will need to get a new gasket set for the new pipes. any suggestions on where to purchase that?

#14 ·
dlam27, I'm likin the seat mod. I have been wanting to do the same, just been afraid of messing up! Can you message me with how you did it? I have looked everywhere for a solo seat and am not having much luck. Thanks, Justin....

#15 ·
jmcclure-

thanks for noticing. i bought an old vn750 stock seat from ebay. then i removed my backrest bar, storage box, and current seat. i am saving those so that i can re-install them anytime i have a passenger. with the newly purchased seat i first removed the staples that hold the fabric to the back rest. then i folded the seat fabric out of the way, thus exposing the foam seat padding and hard plastic layer of the backrest. then i used a reciprocating saw on slow speed to carefully cut the backrest off. i first tried with a simple utility knife but that stuff is too hard to cut by hand. then i simply folded the vinyl fabric under the seat and stapled it down. i like how it turned out, but my problem now is how to secure the seat and cover up the area where the backrest bar used to fit into. i'm going to have to get some sort of piece custom made i guess.

if you do this i just recommend to take your time and be sure not to cut too far down. you can always trim some more off if your first cut isn't low enough. good luck if you try it. and if anybody has a suggestion on how to finish my job, i'm all ears.

#16 ·
dlam 27...yes..I do have pics, and when I figure out how to post them, I will do so... they are perfect and shiny, no scrapes or scratches, bright chrome. The bike has been well cared for...it's a 2005 and only has 8100 miles on it, so hasn't been ridden much.

I don't know about the removal...I think it's pretty straight forward, but that is why I'm having a mechanic do it the first time until I can get the manual...it will be done right.
I will ask him Tuesday (he doesn't work Monday) for some info about what he'll need to take them off and put them back on...pick his brains. I can have him take them off that day and get them shipped to you quickly...hope you can do the same pretty fast so we're both on the road again and happy. Send me an email with your phone number to Olbat413@aol.com, and we can talk about the swap some more if you like....I think we both need addresses to ship to, and it would be nice to talk to you in person about it. Thanks
Barb

#17 ·
dlam27, thanks for the tips on the seat mod. I will look to ebay for a less than perfect seat to cut on (mine is in great shape) and I would hate to mess it up. Thanks again and I will let you know how it goes.

#20 ·
removing the pipes are pretty easy, off the top of my head it should be two bolts each on the manifold and one or two on the muffler itself, about a 10 minute job, and yes buy new crush gaskets, they are cheap. www.cheapcycleparts.com

#23 ·
I'm thinking about an aluminum cover, painted to match the bike. Possibly using the cover as the rear seat bolt down / hmmmmmmm? We'll see. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.