Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced my grips. Went pretty smooth. The throttle side was a little tough. Had to adjust cables since the diameter was slightly bigger.

The old ones were pretty worn out.

I like the feel, color, and price. Got them for $20 from Amazon.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I like mine! You got the right deal, the Kawi shop still has the same grips for $82 in the same Kury package that I got off ebay for $23.

Installation isn't hard, I paid attention to lining up the pads side to side, but you don't see that when you're riding. Didn't need a cable adjustment.

I stuck the air nozzle under the edge of the old grips and blew them right off, but they weren't stock grips.

·
Thats 'Mr' Jr Member
249 Posts
I want some.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Our bars are 7/8", so make sure you get that size. Some listings say they fit VN750, but are 1" and won't work.

Most of them say Kuryakyn on the package, or mine did.

Mine are the black and chrome with spike ends and came with the palm rest on the throttle side, but there are several styles and combos offered. Note: Takes a bit longer for the shipping from China, but have had no problem, my grips came from Calif.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/eBay-Motors/6000/i.html?_ipg=100&_from=R40&_nkw=7/8+black+and+chrome+grips&_sop=15

These are like mine, but came from a different seller: Custom Black Motorcycle Hand Grips Handlebar Throttle Boss 1" 7/8" For Harley | eBay

Flat ends with palm rest: Chrome 7/8" Throttle Hand Grips Fit Honda Gold Wing GL 1000 1100 1200 1500 1800

·
Registered
738 Posts
I want to swap out my grips. I want to put on Biltwell Recoil grips.
https://www.cyclegear.com/parts/biltwell-recoil-78-grips

Do I need a throttle tube? What is the process like? Thanks.
You can reuse the stock throttle tube. If you have the stock grips and want to save them, then use rubbing alcohol to soften the glue and slide them off. Just peel back the grip, pour some rubbing alcohol in, then work it back and forth. Repeat. My grips were in excellent shape (sold them on eBay), so I used this method. It took 3-5 minutes per grip. The added benefit is that the handlebars are cleaned and ready for the new grip installation. If the grips are junk, then you can just cut them off and clean the handlebars after.

Choose your favorite method to install the new grips, hairspray or glue. I used hairspray for mine because I installed heated grips at the same time. The heating elements are glued to the handlebars and the grips are adhered using the hairspray. The hairspray acts like a lubricant when wet and allows the grips to slide on without damaging the heating elements. Hairspray dries hard enough to hold the grips as well as most glues (7 years now with no issues). I can service the heating elements in the future by using the rubbing alcohol trick to remove grips without damaging the elements.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
What "tabs"? I'm not clear on what you mean.

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
If you removed the grip off the throttle tube and are looking at it, you'd know exactly what I mean if they are there....it's possible a previous owner already removed them, which would also mean your grips are not stock.

Stock grips are molded over the plastic throttle tube. There are protrusions on the tube that fill "pockets" inside the grip to keep it from twisting on the tube.
To install aftermarket grips on the tube these protrusions must be filed down even with the tube so the new grips can slide on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ok, I got you now. I haven't taken the old ones off yet, so I'm not sure they are stock or not. Thanks again, I will post pics when I change them out.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ok, I got you now. I haven't taken the old ones off yet, so I'm not sure they are stock or not. Thanks again, I will post pics when I change them out.

So? How’d it go? I liked the look of the grips you picked out. How do they look on the bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Still haven't put them on. Sadly, my bike is in storage in my buddy's garage. We haven't had the chance to link up with our schedules. Plus we've had 3 noreaster storms in the past 2 weeks. I will take and post pics as soon as I have it done!

·
Registered
30 Posts
So I finally had the time to put on the new grips. It was super easy! The old ones slid right off with some alcohol (a trick I use on bicycle grips) and went right on. I used spray adhesive. @Knifemaker- I see what you meant about the throttle side. We didn't file it down, we just stretched the rubber over it, and it made for a great fit! I do have to slide my controls down a bit as these new grips are shorter than the originals, and also I have to adjust the throttle, as it was moved a lot during installation and needs adjusting. But the new grips feel great. Haven't had much riding time yet, as the weather up here really sucked during my week off, but they felt great during the time I did ride. Here are the pics

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts