Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm wanting to get rid of the stock gauges and looking for options ( I don't want to go digital). I've read sportster speedometer would work. Any thoughts on that, is it a direct fit to the gear drive hub? I was considering this, http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300797735548&catId=6000&item=300797735548

Is our speedometer 1:1 or 2:1 ratio?

Also wanted to find a smaller tach. I really don't care about the tach, I don't use it, but I do keep an eye on the temp portion of the tach. Thanks for any info.

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, so I have figured (99%) that the speedo drive ratio is 2240:60, and that a 2:1 speedo would be reasonably accurate, and needs a 12mm thread nut (pretty universal). Somebody correct me if they know any different.

Now for the oil gauge, this is what I'm thinking.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160956551365

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Do you ever feel like you're alone and talking to yourself? :)

I like that last one you posted. But I still like having my fuel and temp gauges. The other thing is, how are you going to mount it so it doesn't look out of place on the forks? If you've ever removed the "dash" you know how ugly things are up there.

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you ever feel like you're alone and talking to yourself? :)

I like that last one you posted. But I still like having my fuel and temp gauges. The other thing is, how are you going to mount it so it doesn't look out of place on the forks? If you've ever removed the "dash" you know how ugly things are up there.
I talk to myself all the time, I'm use to it:( as far as the fuel gauge ,its not very accurate anyway and I can estimate how much I have by looking in the tank. And the last gauge shown has an oil warning light. As far as mounting goes the sky is the limit with the availability of a welder:D

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Once the idiot light cluster is removed, its easy enough to make your own "dash"....far as I know, but dont quote me, an oil temp gauge can go right where the present fill is...one for a Harley may work....just check the probe depth so it dont hit nothin moving, lol...Harleys have separate oil tanks...tachs are electronic, so any electronic will work...speedo could be an issue, as the outside tire diameter on Sporty's is different...if its cheap enough, try it...Harley parts rarely go down in value....can always resell....

My buddy's wife has a Sport she aint ridden in 2 years...mebbe I'll borrow the speedo to check, lol....also, a late model Sporty is more likely to work than an older....

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Who knows maybe it'll catch up the slack, you know these kaw gauges ain't accurate anyhow,lol.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Hay, like I said...if its cheap enough, lol....why not ?

I had (have ?) a neat Harley gauge mount, just for the speedo....centered between forks, chrome, and slipped over the 2 upper tube ends....cant find a pic of what I had, but may be easier to get the kind that are interated into the top handlebar clamp....kinda like this....many different types...

Tachs are often mounted on the right side of the engine just left of yer knee, lol....how often ya look at it ?...lol

·
Registered
203 Posts
Keeping an eye on this. Been thinking about changing the dash aswell. Thinking about centering a small speedo on the bars like the pic above, with color coded led strip below it to show turn signals and other lights. No tach, no fuel, no temp.

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was actually thinking of mounting the gauges to the handlebar clamp. Speedo on the top left Allen screw and oil pressure on upper right. Should look pretty slick!

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so I stuck a paper clip with tape to make a flag in the front wheel speedo hub, also put a piece of tape on the tire lined up with the front of fender. I spun the wheel 1 revolution and the flag turned about 2.7 times, so I know its not 1:1 or 2:1. A 2:1 speedo registers 2000 rpm at 60 mph, a 2240:60 speedo registers 2240 rpm at 60 mph, so I now know our speedos are 2240:60 ratio. Also a 1/8 npt (national pipe thread) sending unit will not work unless the hole is re-tapped (not gonna deal with all that). So here is my solution for oil temp gauge.

http://www.louis.de/index.php?topic=artnr_gr&artnr_gr=10034127&lang=en

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
All ya need is a piece of stock, then get a spare upper bar mount that you can mill down some to accomodate the stock, then slip yer new piece in using the 3 existing bolts...automatically grounded too, so no need for extra wires...

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not yet (lack of funds), but I know it'll work. I have also decided to use the bracket for the horn to install the gauge to my handlebar clamp.

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not sure if that is made by drag specialties, but would probably work just as well. I use eBay for a product reference since they usually have the widest selection of items I am looking for. Then when I find what I like I Google the make and model to search for best price. Thanks for pointing that out, it'll save $15 compared to the eBay list price. Now if I could just find steady work (i operate bull-dozers and other heavy equip) I can start my build. It's tough here in fl, along with the rest of the country to find work. One, because Fl is not using their money to build new roads and bridges because they have other needs like spending money to build things for people that don't even live here (tourists). Two, there are so many people unemployed here that companies are taking advantage of the fact and offering ridiculously low wages ($11/hr for a finish grade operator, a highly skilled job, and mcdonald's employees want 15/hr to flip burgers, lol) because they know there is so many people competing for a job. Some of whom are so desperate for work that will work for peanuts. I pray for the day when companies start to compete over workers again (if that'll ever happen), and not the other way around!

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I pray for the day when companies start to compete over workers again (if that'll ever happen), and not the other way around!
You got that right brother....and that fast food strike is a joke....if they started getting $15/hr, a Whopper would end up being $8.00, and theyd all shut down....the morons are fookin themselves....

Are you Local 94, Operating Engineers ?....if so, yer fooked.....beter of working non Union for less and work steady....besides, if ya work any civil/municipal ya get Union rates (prevailing wage), but ya work more than he Union guys do, and ya dont need to pay no dues....thrust me, I been there.....

Uh oh...an AFL/CIO suv just pulled up in front.....lol....sokay, I know George Meaney's daughter....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts