So I finally received my new gauge cluster which has
1) speedo
2) tach
3) turn signal indicators
4) hazard indicator
5) high beam indicator
6) fuel gauge
7) oil temp

Ordered it through ebay. Here's the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370495508008&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Threw it on and it fits great. Mounted it to the handlebar clamp. Go through the pics on webshots to see how it fit.

Only thing left is to wire it up. Quick question so it'll save some time. Has anyone broken down the wiring diagram and color codes to the stock gauges? If not or if you don't have it handy, I can go through the schematic and get it.

Thanks and hopefully this gives someone else ideas.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
pretty cool, real cool if it was in red to match my bike colors! any pics of it mounted on your bike!!!!!!!

·
Registered
555 Posts
very neat, I will have to look into buying one. how long did it take to get it from china?

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
There are also these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Trail-Tech-Vapor-Stealth-Universal-Motocycle-Computer-/400227724677?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d2f6e6d85

and they ship from the U.S. instead of China.

They have them listed for specific bikes but that link is for a universal kit. Don't know the exact differences between a specific model kit and a universal kit but you can probably find those differences if you look up their website.

Some other kits were listed even cheaper but I didn't see one specific to the Vulcan.

Just thought I'd put this on here as another option for a similar product. This one isn't shipped from China and it's a little less expensive. There's also a "stealth" version which is the same thing but painted matte black.

Link to "stealth" version:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Trail-Tech-Vapor-Stealth-Universal-Motocycle-Computer-/380351795009?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item588ebbcf41

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
very neat, I will have to look into buying one. how long did it take to get it from china?
Ordered it on the 18th of July received it on the 25th. Had to wait till today to get it from the P.O. as no one was home to accept delivery.

I'll get new pics once I have it connected. Don't expect too many issues with that either. The magnet for the speed sensor actually fit right into the extra mounting bolts on the front brake disc as well. Need to fab a mounting bracket for the speed sensor PU unit which looks like it will mount to existing holes on the brake caliper bracket. Pics of that to come as well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't see that one while I was searching for the one I got. The DanMoto one I have has a fuel gauge as well. Not sure if it's gonna work yet as I have not been able to track the resistance on the vulcan's fuel level sending unit. This one is rated for 0-100 ohm sending units.

It's always good to have more options.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
yea, I saw that one from someone in the forum and I thought it was pretty cool... I can't remember who was the one who had it though

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
I looks like the ignition is slightly blocked. Is there any issue with easily starting your bike?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I looks like the ignition is slightly blocked. Is there any issue with easily starting your bike?
Deuce: Not at all except for having to reach slightly over the gauge.

Kanuck: thank you, i actually just printed out the electrical schematic and ran into that. I guess my fuel gauge will be a little off. Hopefully not.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I like it. Too bad it doesn`t have a voltage gauge too. :(

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A voltage gauge would be awesome. I guess we can't have it all, but we can keep trying.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update:

Well I got the speedo all hooked up and working. Only thing left is to fix a pre-existing issue with my fuel level gauge. I am extremely happy with it and the company I ordered it from. So let me break it down:

1) ordered the SP8 through Ebay from China. Ordered on 7/18 and received it on 7/26.
2) Mounted the unit over that weekend.
3) On Monday, connected all the electrical. Pretty straightforward. Made wiring diagram on color codes for the speedo and the Kawi.
4) Used the Kawi stock connectors and splice the speedo onto it.
5) could not get the speedometer to read any speed. Of course ODO and Trip meter also didn't work
6) Sent email to DanMoto on Saturday late afternoon not expecting to hear from them till Monday.
7) Sunday morning, I receive an email on what they would like me to check and try to get it to work.
8) Sunday morning I try this and that and send my findings.
9) This morning I receive 2 emails from them. first is an email to their customers which have recently bought a speedometer with included speed sensor. The speed sensors they received had been wired incorrectly from their supplier. Second email directed just to me stating the same.
10) I go out, swap the wires as stated and voila, all is great.

I love the unit. Very bright LED indicators, Very easy to read and it fit just as I was picturing.

Only slight negatives I have are:
1) the tachometer reads up to 14k RPMs which I will never achieve. I typically run around 5k so not even half of the tach gauge is used.
2) The temp gauge runs around 3/4 up on the gauge so it's a little higher than the stock which ran about middle of the gauge. I just need to get used to it.
3) oh yeah just remembered, no voltage meter. Ha Ha!

I tried posting a video but my phone's video is a funky format which webshots does not support. I'll try again with a different video camera some other time.

Hope this helps someone else on here.

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
There are also these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Trail-Tech-Vapor-Stealth-Universal-Motocycle-Computer-/400227724677?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d2f6e6d85

and they ship from the U.S. instead of China.

They have them listed for specific bikes but that link is for a universal kit. Don't know the exact differences between a specific model kit and a universal kit but you can probably find those differences if you look up their website.

Some other kits were listed even cheaper but I didn't see one specific to the Vulcan.

Just thought I'd put this on here as another option for a similar product. This one isn't shipped from China and it's a little less expensive. There's also a "stealth" version which is the same thing but painted matte black.

Link to "stealth" version:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Trail-Tech-Vapor-Stealth-Universal-Motocycle-Computer-/380351795009?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item588ebbcf41
I like the stealth one. Pretty cool, these things. Then you could sell your fact. gauges and make the money back if not more.:smiley_th

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I like the stealth one. Pretty cool, these things. Then you could sell your fact. gauges and make the money back if not more.:smiley_th
Exactly what I was thinking... but since my gauges don't work, I'm stuck with my non-working analog gauges :-/

1 - 17 of 17 Posts