Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
check this out,a middleweight sporty new cruiser,I'd ride it,what do you all think? For anyone considering replacing their 750 and since Kaw seems to have abandoned this market sector Honda may have a hit here!
Need I ask .Opinions?

http://powersports.honda.com/2011/shadow-rs.aspx

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Looks like a Sportster.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
where do you think the VN750 can trace it's roots to if not the sportster look?Hate to burst your bubble but it started the vtwin sporty cruiser back in the fifties wit the Kmodel flathead and then grew into the 900 sportster and eventually the 1000,When the evo motors came out it dropped back to 883 and then the 1200 or either one you want.

The sportsters were Harley's competition for the british invasion ,japan tried it with some inline 4 cruisers which kinda morphed out of the standards,And then guess what the Virago ,the Vulcan and Shadow twins came along and the rest is history,Japan aimed for a market that only Harley had cornered for years and made some good bikes that looked like a sportster but were cheaper and Yamaha and Kaw have went bigger and I believe Honda has once again taken square aim at the I wanna sportster crowd,they must have hit it dead on from the reactions I am hearing.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,724 Posts
I don't think the Vulcan looked liked a sportster ... But the Honda does, with a bit of the XR thrown in.

But wire wheels and a small tank? No thanks, I'd buy a Victory 8 ball.....

KM
I agree! the tank is only 2.8 gal! and that's including .7 reserve! also it has chain drive! no thanks.

showed it to the wife and she said "it looks like a sportster".

but hey, don't get me wrong, it's a nice looking bike.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I don't think the Vulcan looked liked a sportster ... But the Honda does, with a bit of the XR thrown in.

But wire wheels and a small tank? No thanks, I'd buy a Victory 8 ball.....

KM
Apples and oranges
2011 Victory Vegas 8-Ball $12,499 N/A $12,499
from First Ride :
To my surprise, the 2010 Shadow RS isn't a fake Harley-Davidson designed for poseurs. While the styling isn't unique, it is well done. The engine and chassis deliver the goods well enough to hold the interest of moderately serious riders. As for major advancements in technology, here the new RS doesn't appear to have evolved as one might have expected. Familiarity with Honda's other bikes and the cutting edge hardware in the company's parts bins, it was obviously a corporate choice to give this the RS the equipment it has, technology be damned.

But if you can live with that reality, then you can live with the Shadow RS. And with a base price of $7,799, it's a bike I'd consider parking in my own garage. Again.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

I know there is a years difference in the model but obviously the two bikes are no where similarly priced and I do like the 8 ball myself but it would be more along the lines of a Dyna Superglide,or Honda Fury or Stateline for comparison purposes.

BTW the front fork tubes from a mid to late eighties Sportster are interchangeable with the VN750 and the fork seals are the same and did you ever look at an 883 Sportsters wheels,the small teardrop styled tank of the vn and the stepped seat look way harleyesque ,circa '80's,the differences are enough that people who know anything at all about bikes are not going to mistake one for the other but the average joe on the street who has asked me more than once "is that a Sportster?" to which I would reply "no it's faster" .Sorry OD,I still like me a Sportster and I still like the Shadow RS,although not a fan of the wire wheels .

If I were looking for a reasonably priced new replacement for an aging VN this bike would make my short list.:)

·
Member? ... check.
515 Posts
The tank looks small.
The rear end looks a little weak.
spoke wheels, single front disk, chain drive ... nah.

For the same price and style (more sport than cruiser IMHO), I would opt for the Phantom in the shadow line.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The tank looks small.
The rear end looks a little weak.
spoke wheels, single front disk, chain drive ... nah.

For the same price and style (more sport than cruiser IMHO), I would opt for the Phantom in the shadow line.
another good choice ,it would be on the list too :smiley_th

·
Registered
140 Posts
Funny, I kinda thought Spirit looked like a Deuce?(Dash anyway).
My Son-in-law has a Spirit. Aside from feeling a little crunched up while driving it's not bad! When I sold my FX I rode his. Thought I was gonna "retire"? Guess I never really wanted too:) Cause that's what got me looking at the VN. Much better bike too!
In ther end, if you want an HD, buy an HD.
Having owned over 40 of them, I obviously like em! But now that I don't feel like spending a load of $$$, the VN's are a VERY good alternative to that.

·
Banned
431 Posts
Ugly paint. And I didn't see any other color schemes, boooo...

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
If I had the $$ for a toy to ride on sunny days, I'd go for it. It would make a great bobber. Cleaning spoke wheels just isn't for me, and I sure as heck wouldn't go back to a tiny gas tank. The tank on the VN750 is small enough. It seemed like I was always having to look for a gas station.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Dollar for Dollar, why not just buy the Sportster? The Honda is 745cc's and the HD is still 883cc's and both have the same MSRP. Plus the HD gives you rear disk brakes and mag rims and you will never run out out of parts.

·
Registered
245 Posts
It IS refreshing to see something more resembling a 'standard' motorcycle... one with handlebar mounted gauges, simple basic design, and a minimum of the generally garish 'HD styled' garbage, such as tank mounted gauges, fins on water cooled engines, super wide handlebars, etc. Basically, the traits of ANY cruiser built in the last few years.

A simple, standard motorcycle without a lot of useless garbage, simply to look like a higher end HD. I like it!

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
It IS refreshing to see something more resembling a 'standard' motorcycle... one with handlebar mounted gauges, simple basic design, and a minimum of the generally garish 'HD styled' garbage, such as tank mounted gauges, fins on water cooled engines, super wide handlebars, etc. Basically, the traits of ANY cruiser built in the last few years.

A simple, standard motorcycle without a lot of useless garbage, simply to look like a higher end HD. I like it!
Only one gauge is the keyword. Even though I don't have a tach on my bike, I wish I had one (I know I could add one, but I'm too cheap to do so, and have other things I need to do before that). I guess I'm just old school that way. However, I do really like my tank mounted instrument panel. Gives me room on the handlebars/windshield for a bag or something. I also like not having as many wires running up onto the bars.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Only one gauge is the keyword. Even though I don't have a tach on my bike, I wish I had one (I know I could add one, but I'm too cheap to do so, and have other things I need to do before that). I guess I'm just old school that way. However, I do really like my tank mounted instrument panel. Gives me room on the handlebars/windshield for a bag or something. I also like not having as many wires running up onto the bars.
Can you believe the prices for those add on tachs for the classics and Nomads?I'd like one too but I don't need one that bad,I can set the Idle and other tuning procedures with the tach adapter that came with my DVOM.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Pros and Cons:

Pro: Fuel Injection
Sitting position
No tank mounted guages
3 valve engine design
Con: Small gas tank
No tachometer
Wire Wheels
Single front brake? (Is that correct?)

Not Sure: Chain Drive - I hate the maintenance, but not so much now that I put a chain oiler on my other bike, and I've gotten over 34,000 miles out of the OE chain so far and still in good shape. Easy to change gear ratio if you want to, and I like the look. But, the shaft drive is so nice, no oil sling off and only mess with lube at service intervals.

Decision: I would pass on the Honda. I could live with the chain drive, but the small tank, wire wheels and lack of a factory tach, forget it.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts