Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Kawika
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put together a set of floorboards based on the Knifemaker design. I did it just to see how I liked them and I am pleasantly surprised with the comfort of the position to start, but they seem to transmit a noticeable increase in vibration to my feet. The vibration seems to fatigue my knees sooner than the stock pegs do...anyone else notice this? I still need to put more miles on them to decide if they are keepers.:motorcycl

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, the factory floorboards seem to buzz a bit more than the stock foot pegs too. Especially the right side, I think it's bolted directly to the motor not to the frame.

-Sloppy

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
In your thumbnail pic, between the highway peg and the air cleaner is something that I can't indentify. Something black and there's a thing beside that with a top on it.
What are those?

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I built some of those years ago and installed them on my 750. Didn't notice any vibration at all for over 20K miles. I can't tell by your pics whether you have a rubber pad on top of them or if that is all metal. Mine had a rubber pad glued to the top of each floorboard, which might have made a tiny difference in vibes felt???

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
In your thumbnail pic, between the highway peg and the air cleaner is something that I can't indentify. Something black and there's a thing beside that with a top on it.
What are those?
it looks like a horn.
looks like an airhorn to me....
Yes either a Stebel Nautilus Compact airhorn , or the identical Wolo Bad Boy.
http://www.bikerhiway.com/stebel-na...9.html?zenid=a39c78678298162829ccbc56936823be

This is not neccesarily the best price available for this horn, just the first picture I found.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I would like some rubber air soles for the floor boards.:)

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
Some bikes are a bit more buzzy than others, but there is some vibration at certain engine speeds in all Vulcans. You can use thicker rubber on the floorboard , wear thicker soled boots, or even add air soles to the boots to help dampen the vibs.

After many miles, the holes on the stock pegs kinda widen out more, making the pegs more shakey than newer ones. You could try shimming the pins to make the pegs feel "tighter"...this might help...or then it might even make it worse....

Also, some folks seem to be bothered more by vibration than others.
I used 1/4 thick rubber mat on my floorboards and usually wore heavy lugged boots, and really never had an issue with foot vibration even on long trips. My bike , it seemed pretty smooth, but I have been on other Vulcans that seemed to vibrate a bit more.....

Do you notice it more on the left peg than the right?

KM

·
Kawika
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My bike may vibe a bit more than the average 750, I guess. The vibration has not been a factor with the stock pegs, but after reading these posts and thinking about it...I don't think I've been out in my riding boots with the thick soles, since the addition of the floorboards. I will have to make sure and try that out before making a decision.
There is a rubber tread glued to the boards, but it looks deceiving because of the diamond plate design of the tread material.

yep, that's a Stebel Nautilus horn.

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
could you aqdd some rubber washers to make it a bit less buzzy?
Maybe....depends on where you plan on putting the washers. The peg mounts are bolted to the frame, so not sure how isolated you can make the mounts without risking loosing a bolt or two... the bolt are at 90 degrees to the direction of force on the peg, so the bottom bolts would tend to loosen as the rubber washer compressed under the weight of ones feet.

The pin that holds the peg to the mount could possibly have a washer or two on it ...stuck between the peg and the mount. (this is what I meant by shimming, not using rubber washers but metal ones)

You could add a chunk of rubber under the floorboard...isolating it from the aluminum peg...using longer bolts to hold it on. That would make the most sence to me.

KM

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
You could add a chunk of rubber under the floorboard...isolating it from the aluminum peg...using longer bolts to hold it on. That would make the most sence to me.

I have been creeping this thread... and this is the best suggestion I could think of.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
vibe

Some bikes are a bit more buzzy than others, but there is some vibration at certain engine speeds in all Vulcans. You can use thicker rubber on the floorboard , wear thicker soled boots, or even add air soles to the boots to help dampen the vibs.

After many miles, the holes on the stock pegs kinda widen out more, making the pegs more shakey than newer ones. You could try shimming the pins to make the pegs feel "tighter"...this might help...or then it might even make it worse....

Also, some folks seem to be bothered more by vibration than others.
I used 1/4 thick rubber mat on my floorboards and usually wore heavy lugged boots, and really never had an issue with foot vibration even on long trips. My bike , it seemed pretty smooth, but I have been on other Vulcans that seemed to vibrate a bit more.....

Do you notice it more on the left peg than the right?

KM
It seems like its both pegs at freeway speeds over 5000 rpm

·
Kawika
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just to update the thread, I did get out with my riding boots and found the vibration was not that bad after all...my first few test rides were with my crummy yard shoes and they have no padding left. Love the floorboards! :pepper:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts