Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a National Cycle Plexifairing 3 yesterday.
It should arrive one day next week.

I am also considering putting on some of the larger tire that I have been reading about on here.

It would seem they would make the bike stick a little better on the road.
Anyone have any comments about that?

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
More rubber = larger contact patch = better stick/less slide = more confidence in turns = lower heart rate = longer life.

The only downside to bigger tires is a very slight decrease in mpg figures. And sometimes a very slight increase in rider effort in turns.

KM

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
X2 All the above sounds like a Win Win :)
Post a few pics too !

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Probably safe, both these mods have been done before. The Vulcan already handles more than well enough (for me) with the stock tire size, so I haven't had a reason to switch. It's not a sportbike, and doesn't have the frame geometry or riding position to be ridden like one. But it is one of the best handling cruisers I have ever ridden. I'd be careful with the Plexifairing III, it has been used many times on the Vulcan,, and I'm assuming it's adjustable. But remember, it is a huge sail, attached to the steering device (handlebars and fork), and will catch a lot of wind. I had a much smaller Harley style windshield on mine, and it was downright dangerous. It would cause a violent shimmy at highway speeds, as well as try to rip your helmet off. I removed it. But it wasn't adjustable, and was almost vertical. The centerline of a windshield should be about the same as the fork angle. Remember, it will feel and handle differently, so you need to get used to that difference before resuming normal riding.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
You can see the shield I use in my sig. It's not quite a Plex3 but close. I don't have any issues with "violent shimmy" at hyway speeds. I also have the larger front tire & honestly I can't tell much difference if any in handling but it is nice knowing I've got a little more rubber on the road.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I believe my shield would have worked fine if I had been able to angle it back quite a bit more. I have virtually the same shield (only bigger) on my Road King, and it works fine, though it still causes some helmet buffeting. But, it is angled way farther back at the top than what I had on my Vulcan.

Are there any fender clearance issues with the larger front tire? I also have a Honda Rebel 250, which has a 90/90-18 front tire. Many people have gone up to a 100/90-18, and quite a few have had fender clearance problems. Some "solved" this by elongating the mounting holes in the fender, so they could raise it slightly. Cutting up a fender is not something I would consider as an option unless the bike was a junker.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Fairing and Tires

I run the plexi II and have really liked it. Tires - Plus one size seems to work well from all I have read here and certainly works for me. Types, Metzler is best, MT66 Pirelli great midpriced, Shinko bargain priced.
Well it is snowing pretty good now and 2-3" on the ground already. Winter is here so the biking is done until April.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really appreciate all this input.
My PlexiIII came in today.

Going to put it on tonight. I have always been spoiled to having a fairing. :baby:
As for the rear toolbox. I took mine off and put a trunk from Mutazu on. I do like the extra storage. The only complaint about that trunk. The lid will rattle like crazy. I finally make a gasket from some sticky back stuff. That put the hush on the trunk lid rattle.

I will be sure and comment on the PlexiIII after I get a chance to test it out.

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
I am trying to decide on the Plexi 2 or 3. I know the difference between the two but would like to hear other opinions on each. As for the oversized tires, what size do most change to without the problems mention in previous posts? This is another thing I have to deal with very soon as my front tire is showing some real wear and the rear is also not too far off from that.

Thanks for the honest opinions.

·
Premium Member
4,767 Posts
To me, the only difference between the two tire sizes was it made the speedometer more accurate. Guess I'm not a good enough rider to "feel" any difference. :)

Never had any shimmy or other problems with the PSII shield. On sub freezing rides often wonder if the PFIII would increase comfort levels. Whichever you get, think you'll be pleased.

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
I think the reccomended larger rear is a 170/80 and the front is a 110/90. I've always been in favor of the larger front. The only way you will notice any real difference in handling is if you routinely pushed the bike to the limits of adhesion to begin with.

Let's say you could feel your rear end begin to slide going through a certain turn at X mph. With the wider tire it in theory will not do this unless you go a bit faster now.

But you don't have to push the bike to it's limits to benefit from more rubber, as the bike will have better grip at low speeds, over gravel, and on wet roads. You would just have to push it to "feel" or notice a difference.;)

More grip just makes the bike safer, even if you never push your bike that hard.

As for which windscreen, PS2 or PF3....I went with the PS2, the only real diffrence is the PF3 has the extended "lowers" which would make it nicer in cold weather. I think the PS2's "hand deflectors" seem to line up better to the stock bars, and it of course would be cooler in hot weather.

So if you plan on extended touring, and/or ride in cold weather, the PF3 would seem a better choice. It's the largest windscreen you can find other than the original Kawasaki F&S touring fairing.

Either one can be cut down if needed. Many like to look over the screen, I had no problem looking through the shield, but was able to peer over it if needed by just stretching up a bit. This is important, as rain, bugs, etc can make looking through you screen impossible.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So here is my ride report with the Plexi III.

I rode some 4 lane stuff at 70 to 80. It does really well at 70-75. When I hit 80 I can tell some difference but nothing bad at all. Besides, I don't run 80 very much.

I took some nice twisties and it was nice in the 40-60 range. The fairing does a great job at keeping the hand in a nice still envelope. The weather has been between 45 and 60 degrees. I was very comfortable all the time. It has made the Vulcan almost as nice as my Voyager.

Trailing traffic was not bad. The turbulence actually seems to be less when behind other vehicles. As for meeting vehicles there were no problems.

Yes you will feel some movement but it actually seemed less than before I put it on. Don't forget it is a 500 lb bike. It will not ride like an 800 lb'er.
It was nice riding in a bubble of calm air. :baby:

As for fit, that worked great. If you put one on there is a sweet spot for the lower attachment goes that will clear everything and not limit a 100% turn on the bars. Take your time to get the rake set. I worked with that a good bit till I was happy before I took it on the road. At this point in time I don't think I will need to make any more adjustments there. BTW I got one clear so I am actually looking through the windshield, not over it. I love all the calm air.

Prior to this I have one of the Kawasaki F&S windshields. In short I give it a thumbs up. :smiley_th

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Sounds good. Most likely you got the rake right is why you didn't have any problems. Good thing it is adjustable. I also have an '85 Goldwing LTD, nothing I have ever ridden beats one of those for how good the windshield and fairing work, sometimes it is just a little too quiet. I like to feel like I am on a motorcycle. A full dress touring bike does have it's advantages, but gas mileage is not one of them. I get 35 mpg. How does your Voyager do?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts