Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got new ridin' boots over the weekend. They're these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NJU6PC/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M2T1_ST1_dp_1

I've never heard of Milwaukee Motorcycle Clothing Company before but took a chance. They're great. The boots are very well made, they feel sturdy like they'll last me a few years. The leather comes already broken in so there's no painful period for your feet or ankles. They were only a hundred bones too...

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
nice looking boots man... try walking a few blocks in em and tell me how they feel.. I am always looking for boots that fit right and don't leave my back or feet in pain by the end of the day

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Those look pretty comfy. I like taller boots for riding too. I've seen their stuff around but haven't picked up anything yet. My boots are about 6 years old now and are nice and broken in. I use Corcoran zippered paratrooper boots. Still haven't fount a more comfy boot for myself, although my timberland work boots come close....only down side is that they are insulated steel toes so they are a tad hot and heavy for every day riding.

Let me know how those boots are in about a month and a half. I really would consider a pair if I knew theyheld up well.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
I've has a set like that for about 1/2 a hear now. They feel good and do OK walking around. The soles are soft, not as good as real Vibram and they wear quickly and cut easily too. Other than cheap soles, they seem good so far. I use them while rehab on my ankle goes on. Not bad for chinese though.
I bought some American boots by Chippewa that are far better materials for riding and they should last long after the Milwaukees are toast.
Bronson

·
Registered
856 Posts
Those look pretty nice, though I'm not a fan of the side zipper myself.

I've been looking for a new pair of boots myself. I've been using a pair of older style combat boots:Altima 4157
Had them for the past 16 years and the leather is starting to split and crack. Thinking of getting a new pair of the same, but thinking of getting something with sole with better traction and that's a little more comfortable for walking.

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll break them in and let you guys know how they hold up.

No worries Wolfman, some of them look pretty darn cool though. I've never worn the cowboy style boot before but totally would. I like the distressed looking brown ones...

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Theyre nice fer ridin since the got a heel made for stirrups...fit on the peg perfectly...shame my feet swelled up to an 11 recently, else I'd still be usin em...

·
Registered
936 Posts

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, small problem: the toe of the boot is so tall (from sole to top of toe) that it barely fits between the peg and the toe shifter. I had to turn my ankle toward bike and kinda jam the toe in so I could upshift. I'm sure it'll wear down eventually but in the "mean" time, I'm going to raise the shifter peg up a notch. That wasn't a very fun ride. LOL!!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I had a similar issue when I switched from my 17 year old Dr Martens to my new Bates boots. In my case it wasn't so much that the boot was too big to fit, I just was used to my worn out old boots. After a few rides I didn't even notice it anymore.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
I had a similar issue when I switched from my 17 year old Dr Martens to my new Bates boots. In my case it wasn't so much that the boot was too big to fit, I just was used to my worn out old boots. After a few rides I didn't even notice it anymore.
I just bought some Doc Martens, specifically for riding. I need to see if they have one with a leather sole, though, because the side of my dang sole melted. I see I'm not the first person on the forums to have had a problem with melting footware on the right side. But I really did expect the guard on the brake pedal to keep my boots safe.

This heat is one reason I got these boots, of course. I've definitely been aware that my non-boot footware was not giving me the protection that I needed. But these boots didn't last a single ride. Clearly this material (I don't even know what it is, actually) is not rated for this kind of heat.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Update: I called Dr Martens to ask them what model of boot they would recommend for motorcycles. They said they wouldn't recommend any of them. Weird.

So then I called Amazon's customer service (I bought the boots from Amazon, through a new service they have called "Prime Wardrobe," where you have 7 days to try on stuff before they charge you for it). I explained that they had these boots in a Boots subcategory called "Motorcycle and Combat," and that was how I found them in the first place.

They understood, and told me to go ahead and return them. So I haven't been charged for them (because it hasn't been 7 days yet), and now I'll go find some better boots.

I'll tell you this, though: I wish they had the ability to filter out boots that were licensed to use the Harley Davidson logo. It's pretty hard to find nice boots on Amazon that aren't HD. Nothing against Harley in general, but I don't want my boot money going to HD licensing.

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
Burning soles solved by floorboards. My wife has some "Harley" boots, you have to lay on the floor to read that on the boot, don't care about who gets my money if the product does what it should.
I have a pair of Sketchers boots with lug soles. No problems with them either.
You need to be aware where you place your feet on the pegs. Folks tend to let their feet wander some. ;)
Try buying your boots from a place that sells motorcycles. :)

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
You need to be aware where you place your feet on the pegs. Folks tend to let their feet wander some.
That's true, and I have noticed there are lots of different ways I can put my feet on the pegs. What's weird about this is that the melted sole came from when my foot was on the brake. Right where it's supposed to be. This is just a boot that is completely not up to the job.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
You need to be aware where you place your feet on the pegs. Folks tend to let their feet wander some. ;)
To keep my right foot from sliding around, I removed the 8mm clamp bolt from the brake foot pedal and placed 2ea standard 1/4" flat washers under the head.
Now the left side of the heel of my boot hangs on the head of that bolt as I pull my right heel all the way to the left.
Works good for me.

The bolt works as a locator, too.
I don't have to look down to see where my foot is.

The washers I used are nearly 3/4" OD and 5/16" ID. They are .058" thick so they raise the head nearly 1/8".

Use blue locktite on the threads and don't over-tighten, although the length of threads in the clamp threaded hole are still adequate to tighten sufficiently.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
I scored a nice pair of HD boots for $12, new. Zippers broke right away so I used some heavy thread and stitched them closed. They've got The HD name or logo 28 places on each boot.

I stopped in a funky spot one time and a piece of the factory stitching was caught on the exhaust heat shield. I couldn't put my foot down! I finally gave a huge kick and broke free at the last possible second. Then I sat down and used my lighter to burn off all loose ends on their stitching!

These boots definitely ain't made for walking, sometimes I take my Skechers in the saddlebags if I'm going to hang out anywhere.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts