Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally sprayed the light and housing so my lights match and it'll match the tank. Only problem is the left blinker wire isn't long enough. Short by about an inch and a half. Do I just snip the tip of it and wire in a longer piece and then make sure it's sodered? Not sure.. This is it. Forgot to get a pic while it was on the bike.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,201 Posts

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Do I just snip the tip of it and wire in a longer piece and then make sure it's sodered?
That'd work just fine....I had to do same for all my signals and tombstone...its best to have a lil slack wire, than to try and pull it, have it stretch, and possibly break inside....

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Yep just solder and shrink it.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Butt splices are ok but I really don't like using them that often. If you can solder than do it, heck you could even use a wire nut and be fine.

I have a few scuffed up housings I've been trying to see if I wanted to paint or not. Yours looks good bro.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the compliments and help. I'll head to the local autozone and check out some stuff.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Angell and Nitro; Butt connectors are good if stripped of the plastic, wire crimped in place then flux, solder and shrink.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Angell and Nitro; Butt connectors are good if stripped of the plastic, wire crimped in place then flux, solder and shrink.
Lol if you are going to go through all that you might as well just solder with no crimp connector and heat shrink over the splice. I agree that they do add a little bit of rigidity to the splice but that is way overkill for what he is trying to do here.

For turn signals anyway I'd be more apt to use bullet connectors soldered on.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Lol if you are going to go through all that you might as well just solder with no crimp connector and heat shrink over the splice. I agree that they do add a little bit of rigidity to the splice but that is way overkill for what he is trying to do here.

For turn signals anyway I'd be more apt to use bullet connectors soldered on.
thats what I would do... solder in a bullet connector and call it good.

·
Alpha Geek
487 Posts
I had the same problem. Soldered in extra wire with a bullet connector. Wires were cleaned well, fluxed, soldered, cleaned, dielectric grease to keep oxygen out, then double shrink wrapped since it gets more . I like to fix things permanently.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Nitro......text me bro

I PM'd you earlier this week. Come by my place friday and I will solder it up for you. and you can do some parts shopping while you are here...lol

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bikes not really together at the moment. My brother in law is taking my tank to be sprayed. Having something put on in memory of my father. So not sure when it's gonna get back.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
These blinkers look awfully tiny when installed on the bike. Good thing they're bright.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Just a hint brother...but Id blank out yer plate before posting.... ;)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea didn't think about that. Don't even know if I could do it from my phone.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Turns out I can haha. Will wonders never cease.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
They aint nowhere near DOT specs are they ?...lol ;)....lotta my lights aint either....only state around here i ever seen a DOT check of bikes was Pennsy....and that was 30 yrs ago....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts