Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone i recently purchased a 2000 vn750 for my wife it has 22k on it and i am having a few problems. first off the PO broke the choke cable and never replaced it, i have since bought a new cable but i am having the hardest time trying to instal the thing. i have the handlebar mount buttoned up no problem and i see when the drum on the end of the cable mounts to the carb choke. my question is what holds the cable in place? in the manual the pictures are vague and directions short, it says to route the cable on the left side of the bike but the plunger on the carb has to travel to the right? please any insight or pictures as to what i am missing would be much apreciated. thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
please help haha. this is one of a few problems that i am having with this new purchase and wife is on me about not being able to ride it.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Welcome to the group.
Sorry I can't help you with that. I haven't had any trouble in that area with the bike I had.

But I assure you you will get help!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Welcome to the madness.
I can`t help you either. I`m not familiar with the choke connection to the carbs, my bike is covered up for the winter, and it ain`t finished up here yet.:(

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
There's no light to go take a picture right now. If no one else gives you the solution by tomorrow afternoon, I'll try to take a clear pic of it for you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys for getting back to me. it is strange i cant seem to find a clear pic of it. i see that it comes down from where the air box is but something has to secure the chrome elbow of the cable because when i use the choke switch on handlebars the cable just moves instead of pulling the choke.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey guys one otther thing, is it common for these bikes to make a puff sound out of the exhaust every two seconds or so? its not a backfire but more like a puff sound if i put my hand and cup the exhausted air its like every two seconds or so it puffs. both pipes (stock exhaust) and i believe at different times.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
You probably just have dirty carbs. Seafoam is very recommended in this forum to keep everything clean. Fill up the gas tank and use I think a third of the can? Not sure if that's it, someone else will confirm.

Anyway, seafoam will help you out with any hiccups you might have because of carb dirt or gunk or whatever. For bigger problems you should take out the carbs, take them apart and use carb cleaner.

There are two places that the choke cable attaches to. What the choke cable activates is something kinda like a rail on the carbs, so look along that rail... it should move when you apply the choke. On one end, you insert the barrel looking tip of the cable and twist so that the cable itself is secured... move to the other end of the rail and you'll find a sort of housing... I think it's kinda triangular in shape. This is where the elbow of the choke cable goes.

When you try to put it on, first you put the elbow into the housing and then you put the barrel looking tip on the other end. Hope you can find it with this explanation. If not, I can try to take a pic or two after work tomorrow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i did put seafoam in the tank and i cleaned out to float bowls by draining them then filling them with seafoam via fuel line and let sit over night then drained again and ran it a little bit. that hiccup is funny cause i put the bike on a trickle charger over night and i started it up and ran it down the road and it was a little betternot completly gone but better. correct me if i am wrong but i am testing the bat voltage at the trickle chargr port that is conected to the batt. when i took off charger it read 13.2v then ran it for about 5 miles and it read 11.8v idleing and 12.32v ign off. i am bringing it to stealership on thursday, its my wifes first bike and the thought of her on the side of the road is a little disheartening.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Sounds like you have a charging issue and/or bad battery. I recommend an independent bike shop over almost any dealership, assuming you don't feel confident working on the bike yourself. If the battery is bad, get an AGM replacement.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok so i found a local shop and i am taking it to them today. i hope that i can make the 15 mile journey before she dies on me. not that it ever has but i have a funny feeling i cant ride her too long if its pulling off the battery

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok so for some closure on this matter the mechanic said that i am missing a bracket that the choke cable mounts to so he zip tied it to the frame and it seems to work for now. any ideas on a part number for that. also my charging problem was due to the connector on the regulator was scorched and was shorting out. they replaced it now i have perfect charging and good voltage. thanks for all your sugestions

·
Registered
140 Posts
Well, I just got my bargain priced OEM choke cable($12.00 delvered! See my earlier post under this catagory).
Was going to post and ask for pics from someone and I ran across this post. Same exact issue. Where the h_ _ _ does the other end tie into the carb linkage? I can clearly see the rail as I'm currently pushing on it to start the bike when cold.
What I need is just what "wifesbike" was asking for, a clear picture of where it goes. Even if it's taken of the carbs off the bike. Just so I can get a clear idea of how it connects.:confused:
HELP!!
Not trying to hijack the thread. It's just that no one has posted a pic yet. When I get this done I'll do it if it hasn't been done.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Tagging this for updates...

My choke cable broke last year and the way that I start it now is by manually engaging the choke...

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
This is where the barrel tip of the cable goes into:

This is where the elbow kinda thingy goes into (the triangular shaped bracket I mentioned earlier):

I'm guessing you're missing the second one.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Ceal, your second pic above is worth more than words can say. I would have a hard time explaining/answering OP with mere words. Great job! Excellent pic. Ride safe.
Thanks, I actually found the pics in an ebay auction and just took a print screen and pointed out the brackets with the red circle in paint lol. I was gonna take the pics myself, but I only have a very crappy camera from my cellphone, these are better quality.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts