Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

New Bell Star Helmets - $200

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  skalding 
#1 ·
OK, don't ask me how they're doing this, as the helmet usually retails for $500+, but I ordered one and it came in last week.

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/hot+deals/garage+sale+-+1+of+a+kind/bell_star+recoil+helmet

My old helmet is a GMax-68, which is a nice capable helmet. I was amazed by the Star though. It's really all it's cracked up to be - amazing venting, comfortable, balanced, light, and a great visor system. The best part for me was the steadiness of the helmet at speed. At highway speeds, even highway passing speeds, it felt like my head was actually being held in place by the helmet. It was kind of weird, the helmet feeling so stable, as I'm used to a bit of buffetting.

You can find glowing reviews of this helmet all around the web - just google it.

Anyway, thought I'd post a link to this fantastic deal, keeping it in the family so to speak.

#3 ·
It looks like an excellent helmet and sound like a very good deal. However I would be quite skeptical about getting a proper fit without trying it on. JMHO

#7 ·
Hey guys, sorry I didn't have time for a better write up. Basically, Bell recently came out with a new helmet intended to compete with expensive top of the line helmets. Bell named the new helmet "Star" which is also the name of their old 1970s line. The two are not the same however.

Webbikeworld has a write up - http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/bell-star/

And the helmet itself has an official website - http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/bell-star/

Anyway, the helmets are fantastic. The venting/stability/anti-fog properties make it perfect for a FL rider (which I am). The ones on sale (see first post) are not, to my mind, the best looking in terms of graphics, but they're certainly adequate, and they're printed on the same helmet - prettiness is pretty low on my list of what I want out of a helmet.

I don't have a lot of marginal income, but I thought if I let a 550 helmet with all these features pass when I could grab it for 200, I'd be kicking myself later on. I'm very happy I got it. The best way I can describe the stability is "freakish." Then again, I haven't compared it to other "top line" helmets. Still, it's a hell of an upgrade from my Gmax helmet, in terms of head rattle/buffetting. The Gmax flows a lot of air, but at highway cruising speeds tends to rattle a little bit.

Overall, I'd say the reviews you find here and there on the web are pretty accurate. The only drawback for the reviewers seems to be sizing/padding issues. I have a fairly neutral head, and have always worn medium helmets. I ordered a medium and found the Bell fits me perfectly and does not chafe at all. The soft foam padding inside does seem thinner compared to other helmets, but 4 hour rides are completely comfortable. So I'm not really sure why the reviews point out that it is thinner. The thinness does not really make a difference in terms of lessened comfort.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.