Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

ok, Yet another stator question....

I know batteries can play a role in low voltage readings while riding (even if the charging system is good) so I just put in a new battery, unfortunately that was before reading much here and I did not get a sealed battery.... But anyway it is new... I have been charging it nightly with a 1.5 amp maintain trickle charger (also reading that that may be to high in amps??). Anyway I have read that Regulator failure ends up over charging the batt and leads to over voltage. I am seeing low voltage when running.
10-11 idle hot with fan and brake light on.
11-12 idle to low rpms without fan or brake light
12-13 when riding 65-70 (never get up to 12 below like 60mph)

When I get back home the battery generally needs some charge. It does start up pretty good all the time, even with the old battery. I only changed it because of the low voltage readings.

So can the regulator cause this? new stock type battery? or is a weak stator the cause?

(oh and removing the goat's belly and probably moving the Regulator are next on the list after some reading around here... :) )

·
Ratbiker
53 Posts

·
Ratbiker
53 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I started doing the test, and everything was checking out ok. I was thinking that maybe it was because I just took the battery off the charger, but then tested the voltage at the battery, then where I had my volt meter hooked up (so I can see it while riding), and there was a bit over a volt difference!! Then I checked several other switched hot leads at the junction box and under the seat and all of them were that way. Apparently I am loosing a bit in the ignition switch (I think), so I am going to hook up the volt meter to a relay triggered by an ignition wire, but then going directly to battery voltage, so I can get a true reading.

I am not sure if there is anything actually wrong...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turns out it was the stator, it just got increasingly worse... until each of the leads hac 0 ohms between them. Stator is out now, just have to find the time to get it all back together...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts