Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
cycle zombie
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a little spill that ended up twisting my forks, handlebars and a few other things on my 99 Vulcan 750. I attached some pics for reference..

I read that the stock bars are 10" with a diameter of 7/8". I wanted to go a little taller so I was hoping these Lowbrow Customs Apes would fit. Can anyone confirm these would be compatible? I'm thinking I might have to relocate the components as well, which would clean up the wiring around the bars, also something I wanted.

I was also wondering if these Bitwell Grips would work with the stock throttle or if I'd have to go with an aftermarket throttle like they mention in the description..

As far as the front forks I remember reading somewhere a while back that any Vulcan 750 forks would work from mid 80's till when they stopped making them. Is that correct? If so, anyone trying to get rid of a set of front forks?

Thanks for the advice!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I went to a set of gel grips for like $15 tops on ebay. Look better and they slide ride over the stock throttle.

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts
A little spill? You hit a parked car?

You might need longer cables and hoses for a 12" ape. You can cut the old grip off the throttle and any 7/8" grips should fit.

All forks are interchangeable.

Make sure you didn't bend the frame or the triple tree btw.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
I have a complete set of forks/trees I'd be willing to sell you. PM me and let me know. I usually have a few odds and ends laying around I can part with.

When did Dali start designing bikes? Lol

·
cycle zombie
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hahaha Dali!

Well what happened was I was on my way to work just after it had down poured here in south Florida. I was riding behind an SUV (with plenty of distance between us) when the SUV decided it was gonna stop last minute for a red light. I thought she was gonna drive through it but when I saw she decided to stop all of a sudden I hit the brakes. When I hit the brakes I realized I wasn't slowing down much and I was staring at the back of this SUV saying to myself I'm gonna slam into this car. So I started pumping the brakes to regain some control and I managed to swerve around the SUV but went into the intersection where the light was about to change green. I must have grabbed the front brake which made the bike buck and throw me over the bars. I remember being in the air thinking "this is gonna hurt" I managed to roll to my back and slide about 20 yards on my shoulder until I came to a stop in the middle of the intersection. I barely tapped my head on the ground so I didn't get KO'd or anything but broke my left hand, I think on the mirror when I was going over the bars. Moral of the story is NEVER be in a hurry while your riding and always be ready for anything. Anyways, it's been over a year and I've finally got the money saved to get her back on the road and maybe with a couple upgrades. :motorcycl

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
hahaha Dali!

Well what happened was I was on my way to work just after it had down poured here in south Florida. I was riding behind an SUV (with plenty of distance between us) when the SUV decided it was gonna stop last minute for a red light. I thought she was gonna drive through it but when I saw she decided to stop all of a sudden I hit the brakes. When I hit the brakes I realized I wasn't slowing down much and I was staring at the back of this SUV saying to myself I'm gonna slam into this car. So I started pumping the brakes to regain some control and I managed to swerve around the SUV but went into the intersection where the light was about to change green. I must have grabbed the front brake which made the bike buck and throw me over the bars. I remember being in the air thinking "this is gonna hurt" I managed to roll to my back and slide about 20 yards on my shoulder until I came to a stop in the middle of the intersection. I barely tapped my head on the ground so I didn't get KO'd or anything but broke my left hand, I think on the mirror when I was going over the bars. Moral of the story is NEVER be in a hurry while your riding and always be ready for anything. Anyways, it's been over a year and I've finally got the money saved to get her back on the road and maybe with a couple upgrades. :motorcycl
No helmet? Lucky.

Are you going to continue to ride without a helmet after that? :confused:

·
cycle zombie
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No helmet? Lucky.

Are you going to continue to ride without a helmet after that? :confused:
I had a full face DOT helmet on, and yes I'll continue to wear one. I just meant even with the helmet on I managed to barely tap it on the ground. But I read even if your carrying your helmet and drop it on the ground it needs to be replaced so that's another thing on my list. I think I'm gonna go with the Bitwell Gringo in Flat Titanium.

·
cycle zombie
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So the front end got bent up like that without hitting anything?
Did the bike flip end over end?

Worst road condition is when it "just starts" raining....
That's correct. Not sure what the bike did exactly, I was in the air and sliding on my shoulders haha. I don't know if you've ever experienced a down pour in south Florida before but it'll rain for 5 minutes and the streets will be flooded. It's pretty incredible actually. At the time of the crash I was riding my bike full time and didn't have any other vehicles so I didn't have a choice of taking a car to work if I wanted.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Found my forks on Ebay at $17 each, shipped. You have to watch a while to get a good price, many are way overpriced, even ones that look like yours.

My upper tubes were barely tweaked, almost an optical illusion, but bad enough to pull to one side, which killed by back muscles when I tried to start riding this Spring.

My lowers were in better shape, so I'm going to teardown, reseal, and swap the upper tubes. Seals were ebayed for $8.

Was trying to buy a set here, but could never get a price or much of an answer from the seller.

·
cycle zombie
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea, freshly wet roads are usually slick and greasy..

where about in south florida?
Ft. Lauderdale, driving south on Federal Highway at Commercial Blvd. Random but I'm originally from Michigan..

Found my forks on Ebay at $17 each, shipped. You have to watch a while to get a good price, many are way overpriced, even ones that look like yours.

My upper tubes were barely tweaked, almost an optical illusion, but bad enough to pull to one side, which killed by back muscles when I tried to start riding this Spring.

My lowers were in better shape, so I'm going to teardown, reseal, and swap the upper tubes. Seals were ebayed for $8.

Was trying to buy a set here, but could never get a price or much of an answer from the seller.
I'm just gonna try and find a complete set of forks to replace them.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
That was a complete set, my lowers are just better looking. Guess I'll keep the other set of lowers and see about polishing them out. Makes a lot of work though, keeping them shined.

A lot of roads have that greasy center, even before a rain. Dips in the roads tend to make oil drops fall right on that spot too.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
...and I still live in Michigan lol.

·
cycle zombie
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Im over on the other coast, near Port Charlotte.

Yea, I from Michigan as well, grew up in the Detroit area, moved to Traverse City for a few years before coming down south
Crazy, I moved to Punta Gorda Isles with my grandparents when I first came down. Grew up near Ann Arbor.

...and I still live in Michigan lol.
Haha I noticed that too. You gotta jump on the Florida bandwagon, unless you still like those dreary winters haha :BLAM:

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
yea, freshly wet roads are usually slick and greasy..

where about in south florida?
....known as Florida Ice.....

Years ago, Lived a decade in Central Florida.... established legal address years later... Read the tax laws... LOL

....moved on from Florida....love AZ more ! LOL

:smiley_th

·
cycle zombie
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
So my bike is basically all fixed. Took it to A-1 Cycles in West Palm Beach and the dude installed the new forks/bars/cables/rear foot brake lever & even rebuilt the carb. He said everything is working perfectly so he started it up to get some gas flowing and it started spewing out oil from the front of the engine where the oil pressure gauge is. Fail. Had another custom bike builder look at it and he said he'd have to take the motor off to weld it. It's getting dropped off at my house today so I'll see it better tonight, but my Dad seems to think I can just JB Weld the bolt right to the engine and if the gauge needs replacing I can still screw it on or off. Either that or save up another $750 to have someone strip it, weld it and put it back together.. So close yet, so very far.

Attachments

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Man those are some nice forks....

Anyway if the hole is stripped you could always drill it out and put a heli-coil in to fix it. Sure jbweld will work, but that's almost never a good solution IMO. Its kind of a tricky situation because you don't want metal shavings in your crankcase. What I would do is pul the sender out and see why it would leak. Is the hole stripped, are there cracks around it, what is going on?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts