·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
I like them, sharp looking bike.

Jon

·
Registered
158 Posts
I like the diamond plate and the expanded metal. Very nice.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
very nice.... makes me wanna change mine.....

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Looks good :smiley_th
I have some diamond plate sittin' around from some truck running boards that I almost used to make a replacement toolbox.
But I kinda like the small backpack I put there. Maybe I'll do something like that with the pieces instead.

·
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies and input, glad you guys like um.
As most of you already know , I made them, wasnt hard to do.
I will explain how, but first to awnser your questions about the crash bar. They came off a 82 kaw 550 LTD I have, They were on that bike when I bought it, Believe they were a universal application.
The bottom mounts lined right up with the frame bolts on the vn750, no problem there, The top ends of bar are mounted using 2- U-bolts, This was a nightmare installing because the middle frame bar was in the way,I worked those U-bolts for about 3 hours to get them on.Also I had to cut down plastic frame covers in front of the tank,no big deal there,used a good pair of tin snips, cleaned it up with dremel.The floor boards I got off the net for $130 dollars, they are 1"1/4 Universal application,very comfortable.
Now for the ears, materials used: 1 sheet carbon fiber (ebay store,about $30 dollars, credit here gos to another ebay member that did this first with the carbon fiber,cant remember name. 1 piece of stainless steel mesh (ebay store,about $15 dollars,store name :grill king. 1 piece of thin diamond plate
alluminum .035mm thick,very workable,store name: cutsmetal. finally, a small box of chrome plated bolts from local dealer, about $3 dollars,and replaced stock bolts.
First I removed black insert in air box cover from behind,they pop right out.
I then used this as a template to cut carbon fiber and stainless steel mesh.
I bought carbon fiber with 3m backing,so I stuck them right on,The steel mesh I secured using a small bead of clear silicone along the outer edge inside of inset space.I used a pair of tin snips to cut all these materials,also used snips on diamond plate. Then cleaned up edges with a dremel (high speed rotary tool). The diamond plate band I made is secured at bottom with 4- alluminum pop ribits at the seam.
If you guys have any other questions Ill be happy to replie. Steve A.K.A Spriddle

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
is that steel mesh on the radiator too? i like the idea, i want that on mine. i wont copy you, i'll find something else but i like the overall idea....highway hawk crome radiator shroud with that steel mesh would look killer.....

·
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep,thats Stainless steel mesh from an ebay store,$15 Bucks,really improves the
look of the rad. Dont mind anyone copying anything I've done.:rockon:

·
Avid Rider
279 Posts
Yep, very nice work, spriddle, thx for sharing that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts