Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HI!...first off been riding M/C's over 50 years and first time riding the VN, i notice right off she wanders from side to side like a boat hunts. kinda like the gas in the tank sloshin around moving the bike,what gives? is this a trait? my bike is a '06 w/2500 miles on,its pretty much L/N, other than that love the bike. also i have a bud that had one and a guy down the st. says he went to M/C mechanic school so he R& clean carbs. he really screwd things up! you must do 1 carb at a time ,DON'T MIX THE PARTS TOGETHER OF BOTH CARBS! they are both jetted differently!the needles especially! i got this cause my 88 sportster is having carb probs.needed somethin to ride while i R&R carb.figuring out if i should stick with the S&S or go to a mick or cv.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,193 Posts
How old are your tires?should not wander at all.is everything tight?do both wheels line up when you look at it from behind?now on the sporty stick with a mikuni or an s&s.so your up by Syracuse, eh?I'm over in Chenango in Norwich

·
Tinkerer
572 Posts
Also need to check your headstock bearings, they could also cause the bike to drift/wander and also your forks are aligned properly.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Also need to check your headstock bearings, they could also cause the bike to drift/wander and also your forks are aligned properly.
I had a similar trait bike would slightly shimmy at low speed. I found the head bolt loose underneath the handle bar cover . Took it off and torqued it down used loc tite Problem solved . Your issue could be bearings .

·
Super Moderator
11,926 Posts
Before someone else says it, new members should first post in the Newbie Check-In forum and introduce themselves and give some background on how handy with a wrench they are.......before jumping right in with their bike issues.

That said....steering head bearings and adjustment would be the first thing to check. Honestly, I wouldn't even ride the bike until you solve that problem.

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
Before someone else says it, new members should first post in the Newbie Check-In forum and introduce themselves and give some background on how handy with a wrench they are.......before jumping right in with their bike issues.

That said....steering head bearings and adjustment would be the first thing to check. Honestly, I wouldn't even ride the bike until you solve that problem.
That first paragraph was very well put. lol

I agree with all the advice given so far as to what to check, where to check it and the "do not ride" portion also.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wonder no more.

was probably me. had it on the super slab, was going nice and straight. think its the longish fork tubes at lower speeds,feels like a chop with no rake and 10-12" over tubes. i checked everything. mirror decided to roll over flat so i took apart and tightened the nut on the stem underneath the mirror. also checked my a/f's, the snorkel to the air box was pinched on the L 1 and deformed on one part so i put a fat socket in it to stretch it out and heated up with a blow dryer a couple times and finally took its shape back and fits tight and right now into the air box.checked 1F and 1 R plug and color is puuuurfect! new battery,Exide 14L A2. going to do the gypsy mod to the Rect reg. with a star washer to assure good ground. going to do the spline lube to. then its a no worry gas n' go bike,till i hear the cam chains then i'll do the manual ones. cheers!

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
Mine wanders every time the air pressure in the shocks gets low. I like to keep 30 lbs in them all the way around. Gotta be quick with that release or it''ll empty itself in 1 full second (which is all it takes to put 30 lbs in it as well). :) Keep my shocks set on 3 with pressure in them and the bike is as solid as a train on rails. Let one of them get low and it'll feel like a wet noodle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks! i'll check that,didn't know it had air shocks,its probably never been checked and P.O. said he hadn't rode in 2 years! battery was dead when i bought but jump started with battery jumpers.

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
They are air/oil mix so oil at the valves are common. As i say, it will fill or empty in 1 second. Valves are under the caps on the front at the end of the stem the caps just unscrew, by the top mount at the rear. Be QUICK removing the air nozzle. Completely controls how this bike rides.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,193 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
HI!...first off been riding M/C's over 50 years and first time riding the VN, i notice right off she wanders from side to side like a boat hunts. kinda like the gas in the tank sloshin around moving the bike,what gives? is this a trait? my bike is a '06 w/2500 miles on,its pretty much L/N, other than that love the bike. also i have a bud that had one and a guy down the st. says he went to M/C mechanic school so he R& clean carbs. he really screwd things up! you must do 1 carb at a time ,DON'T MIX THE PARTS TOGETHER OF BOTH CARBS! they are both jetted differently!the needles especially! i got this cause my 88 sportster is having carb probs.needed somethin to ride while i R&R carb.figuring out if i should stick with the S&S or go to a mick or cv.
I was under the impression that then vn750 last year was 2005 ? Is your bike really a 2006

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,193 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
figured it out finally

as i think i stated,mine IS a 2006 last year production and was garaged bike w/2.5k miles,yes 2.5!, and has the i think original Bridgestone Excedra tires (which are listed in the manual they came with 3 dif. brands) on and the front one is very V shape,like a knife edge where as my '88 sportster with 6K miles,the dunflops have a gradual curvature.I think this is why is wandering. if i lean back helps some and loosen my grip helps too but pretty sure that is what causes it. all other possible causes have been checked. also i get the CG noise when i first start out cold occasionally,changed all & put rotella T 15w40 dino i noticed shifted smoother initially but seems a bit notchy when all is hot.also would be nice if when everybody posts especially with probs to list the mileage,year.if i figure out how to ad a pic of tire i will,it is very noticeable.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
if those tires are original, I would replace them. they are going on 10 yrs old.. even with good tread, the rubber dry rots, or you can get internal tire failure.. I personally wouldnt ride on a tire thats more than 6 yrs old

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,193 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts