Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So got the bike back together and the battery connected turned over the bike a few times and it fired up. But then as I was checking for leaks and such I found the wire to the battery neutral all the way to the starter in front of the bike was super hot. The neutral wire was so hot I was concerned about a fire. SO I went to disconnect it and the bolt on the neutral was so hot I almost got a blister on my fingers...why would this wire get so hot? What should I be checking for?
Thanks
Beesea

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Did you crank it a long time?

Starter button or solenoid stuck, running the starter all the time? Not good at any rate. Could try removing the battery cable from the solenoid, turn the key on, touch the cable to the solenoid and see the reaction. Be ready for big sparks and the starter engaging.

I rewrote this to have you do the test at the solenoid. Doing it at the battery could ignite battery gases with the sparks.

Could maybe just turn the key on and see if the starter begins cranking. Can't think of much else that would cause so much heat.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
Is the cable corroded or pinched soomeplace? You can get a new cable just about anyplace or make your own.

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Forgot to mention, I think it is black, but it's not neutral. It should only be 'hot', or carrying current when the start button is pushed.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well since the bike had been sitting for a while to rebuild it did crank a lot. So you think if I didn't have to crank it so much it would not get hot like that?
After I get it started it should cool down?

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Yes, long cranking can actually melt the fragile battery terminals on these little batteries. It's recommended to only crank a few seconds and let it rest a couple in between.

Sometimes if the solenoid contacts get overheated, they will weld together, then you have a stuck solenoid and a starter that won't stop even with the key turned off. All you can do then is get the battery unhooked or cut the batt. cable. It's a race to get it done before stuff catches fire or melts down.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had to re-charge the battery and so I don't know yet- should though because I got the starter redone and I got the stator redone. So things should be all good to go but I have to leave it started more than a few seconds- I cut it off cause the wires were so hot.

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
I would replace that cable, for fear of some unseen corrosion/resistance. they should be cheap.

Unless you cranked it for nearly a full minute or over half the time for several minutes.

·
Registered
191 Posts
It could be a easy as a loose or dirty connection. Both can cause resistance. resistance equals heat. If it is it will likely be one of the main connections running off the battery, Starter relay, battery itself, main ground etc.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Where ya been Ron ?... Gonna come ride with us soon ?....

And the Vulcan has a LOT of ground wires...check em all for fraying and grounding improperly too....a bad connection to your starter can also cause it to run hot due to excesive resistance....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts