Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
"ya can't live forever"
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys here's my problem :

Kickstand up,
Clutch in, in first or any gear, key on, hit start switch, no start !!
She will start only when in neutral !!

Second problem :

Difficulty in returning to neutral from first.
Popping out of second gear.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
The answer to your first problem is likely to be failure of the little switch on the clutch lever. That switch (according to the wiring diagram), along with the sidestand switch and the neutral switch are connected to and controlled via the ignitor unit. Could just be corrosion or some other failure of the contacts. Check the connection also. If I remember correctly, that switch is "ignored" by the ignitor unit when the transmission is in neutral (someone please correct me if i'm wrong), thus explaining why it will start only in neutral. You could try by-passing the clutch switch to prove the point but I wouldn't recommend leaving it that way otherwise you could end up getting a surprise if you were to try & start the bike in gear with the clutch released.

As for your second problem, the difficuly in shifting could be either the idle is too fast or the clutch is poorly adjusted & is not disengaging enough. Failing that, it could be wear in the selector mechanism which might help to explain the jumping out of 2nd. I am not so knowledgable on the transmission so i'm purely guessing.

·
"ya can't live forever"
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ernie thanks for the guidance.......I'll get at it tonite and let you know the results. [

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
for the poping out of 2nd... Besides the clutch adjustment, make sure when you shift, you bring the shifter up all the way. The VN750 has kind of a long throw when shifting from 1st to 2nd. If this still doesn't help and you want it fixed, the transmittion will have to be fixed requiring an engine pull and $$$. Poping out of gear is a slippery slope; once it starts, it keeps gets easier and easier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts