Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Let's Ride!!
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While working on my bike yesterday, I had a serious "oops" moment: as I was trying to jack the bike up a little from the rear, it slipped off the jack and the jack broke off the connector for the neutral sensor.

The result is that the neutral light will not come on, and the bike will not start unless the clutch is pulled in. This is annoying because even if it's in neutral after it's already running, if I let out the clutch the bike dies.

Anyone know a way to bypass that while I wait for a new sensor? Could I remove the safety switch at the clutch lever? Would that allow me to release the clutch in neutral and start the bike without having to hold in the clutch? Or is there something else I could do?

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I think that you can ground the senser wire and the bike will run, but it will also start in gear.

·
Let's Ride!!
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts

·
Let's Ride!!
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Dragon Master
39 Posts
for future readers of this post.

When I got my 92 vn750 this was an issue, and before I even seen the bike the p.o. has broken the tab in the clutch lever so the bike thought the lever was always held.

the bike can be started in gear like this, so it does pose a possible risk for a mishap.

but it would allow the use of the bike, even if you risk dropping your bike early in the morning...

I would also like to point out that I believe that if the bike doesn't know it is in neutral then the radiator fan will not kick on unless you turn the engine off. (mine never comes on unless the engine is shut down). best of luck to any who need such info.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
my fan runs while engine running, in gear, and even sometimes when I am going down the road...

suspect a problem with fan circuit, not neutral circuit if your having that kinda problem

edit:

after looking at the wiring diagram for the fan circuit... if it runs after ignition off, it will would seem to run anytime its needed..

basically its feed directly from battery (thru 30A main fuse, and fan relay in Jbox), with the fan relay activated (grounded) by the fan switch.

the ignition switch and neutral switch are not in the circuit anywhere

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
My fan runs most of the time, in neutral or in gear. What happens if you disconnect the clutch nanny switch? You said it will die if you let the clutch out. Doing away with that switch will prevent the clutch from having anything to do with it. I have done away with both the clutch and sidestand switches, but the neutral switch is still connected. I don't know if it affects the fan, but it's not causing any problems. Unlike the other two, it is a sealed switch and unlikely to fail, unless you break it off

1 - 11 of 11 Posts