Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals. My neutral light has started behaving weird...

Basically, when the clutch lever is not pulled in, the neutral light is on. When I pull on the clutch lever it turns off, except when it really is in neutral.

So when I'm riding, I'm in gear, I'm rolling and the neutral light is on. When I shift, I pull in the clutch lever, light goes off, select the gear, let out the clutch lever and the light goes on again.

When I park, I pull the clutch lever, the light goes off, I shift down into first, light is still off (and clutch lever still pulled in) and I shift into neutral and the light comes on. I release the clutch lever and the light stays on.

So basically, it's not really a problem that affects my riding and hasn't tricked me into thinking I'm in neutral when I'm actually in gear, but it's weird and I'm asking what you guys think in case it's a sign of something very bad about to happen (or happening).

Thanks for any advice on this guys and gals.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
The 750 has a couple of neutral indicators: one is the switch that's triggered by your clutch lever - check to see that the "button" (small plastic piece that goes in when you pull the lever) is moving properly and that the wires are connected properly. Also check the thin green wire that comes off the back of your engine and hooks into the wiring harness on the left side (over by the battery ground). Again, just look for solid connections, any splits in the wire, etc.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, I'll take a look at those as soon as it's not so hot outside... Thanks Cindy!

·
Banned
448 Posts
The switch on the clutch lever is for the neutral safety if the bike is in gear, not for the light.
If your neutral light is on, it could be a bare wire, or a sticky neutral light switch.
There is a tiny ball bearing in the motor on the shift drum that triggers the light when it's in neutral, and it pushed up against a tiny ball in the end of the switch. If either of those balls are sticky, it will throw a false light.
The neutral switch is under the back of the motor, and a pain to get to.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm... maybe it IS a sign of something worse... I had trouble shifting the bike out of gear the other day when I parked the bike. Had to rock the bike forward and backward and then it shifted into neutral. It wouldn't shift to any gear though, just stuck in first.

After that, I think the same day, when I tried to down shift, it wouldn't go down. It didn't feel like the lever was stuck, quite the contrary, felt like the shift lever was completely free. After a few tries it shifted down and I was good to go.

·
Registered
796 Posts
That sounds like the problem I had once (would not come out of gear). It wound up being the shift barrel/drum and a spring came apart. I had a shop repair it at the time so I can't tell you any particulars but I'm sure someone should know.

·
Member? ... check.
536 Posts
Maybe two seperate issues?
Flaky starter lockout switch on clutch. (neutral ind.)
Weakening gear change pawl spring. (gear change issues) <-- This one may have stranded me Saturday.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe two seperate issues?
Flaky starter lockout switch on clutch. (neutral ind.)
Weakening gear change pawl spring. (gear change issues) <-- This one may have stranded me Saturday.
Probably so, I found some posts about the pawl spring after I posted here... gonna have to look into that. Bike is due for an oil change anyway lol.

·
Member? ... check.
536 Posts
You runnin' your kickstand switch jumped out somehow?
There may be a blown(shorted) safety switch diode in the JB.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You runnin' your kickstand switch jumped out somehow?
There may be a blown(shorted) safety switch diode in the JB.
I grounded one of the pins on the junction box so all the safety switches are bypassed. The light worked fine after I did this though, only recently it started behaving like this.

·
Member? ... check.
536 Posts
Did you ground pin 14?, 16?, or 12?

I'm puttin' my money on 14 or 16.
If you grounded one of those, and the diode on pin 12 shorted some time later, you would likely get those symptoms when working the clutch.

~~C8>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts