Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Totally new to this forum, have read a lot of helpful things on here previously though so thanks for that.

Not that long ago i started getting the famous coffee grinder noise, to begin with i was horrified. But after reading about it on here i figured I'd have the clutch basket drilled as i hated the noise.

I took it to a local garage as i haven't the time at present to mess around with bikes. They drilled the basket and the noise is gone....Excellent.

Problem is now i cant find neutral when stationary & the gear change is hard and sticky.

I have taken it back and had it checked out. The drilling is fine, the plates are fine and the clutch cable is fine. It's adjusted as it should be, and the engine end is in balance with the lines.

is there anyone who's encountered this before and has a solution? It used to chance gear seamlessly and was a joy to ride, now it's a bit of a pain.

Any help appreciated.

Jim

·
Super Moderator
11,934 Posts
They change your oil when after they drilled your hub?

The bike has a "positive neutral finder" which is supposed to make finding neutral from first while stopped easy.

Not sure why shifting would be 'hard and sticky' unless your oil or clutch is off.

If you are sure the clutch is working properly...then it's either the oil or they FKD something up while doing the hub.

·
Registered
384 Posts
X2 sounds like the clutch plates are either sticking, or the clutch isn't adjusted properly.
If they installed the clutch plates, they might have them in wrong.
All plates go in the same way, and the last plate goes in the end of the basket differently.
If your clutch isn't releasing properly, it will cause the shifter to be sticky or sticky.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
just tried to start my bike after replacing the shift rod and it wont shift i got it to drop into first but then the shifter wont move any ideas on it?

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
Atol1986,

What does the shop that did the work tell you? If the shifter was working and all that had been wrong was the noise then there must be some change they did during the tear down or rebuild. Check the oil weight that they put in the bike and ask that it be replaced with the same specs as what was in before.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts