Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
60 degrees and sunny today, and my first real ride since turkey day last year.

And man did I feel rusty. And edgy...while I was out there. It felt real good to be out, but then there was this weird sense of relief when I made it to my two destinations. I know it will pass, it just felt pretty odd.

I know people aren't used to seeing us out there, and around here we still have to watch for flooded sections of road side with chunks of ice still in them. Then there's the frost heaves (nature's speed bumps) and some monster chuck holes too that could very easily separate the rider from the bike.

But overall it was nice to be out again, the bike ran good, and without any leaking carb issues. :smiley_th

Riding season is slowly wandering in! :beerchug:

·
Simple Solutions
965 Posts
Congrats on the first ride safe and sound!!! Two more outtings and your home free but that edgy feeling, its a good feeling, And we are safest when we are cautious we all know that then we get to comfortable we stop aying attention... yes theres a happy, and that usually happens about half way through the season... Keep the shiny side up!!!

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
congrats on getting out! right up to my crash thursday i was having a blast. new pipe on my bike that felt like it gave it a lil more pep. first time i've been able to ride in a couple weeks between rain and cold and errands requiring the truck. for a minute i thought maybe it was fate being mad because i had a blast riding to work, and coming home - right up to the crash.

i know after only a couple weeks off the bike i always am a little tense. i can't imagine several months. but i guess now i get to find out. take her slow and do a lot of liitle trips to get your wheelin legs back.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I had the same "edginess" after being off of my bike for six weeks or so after my knee surgery. Still, it felt really good to be back in the saddle again...

--FA

·
Registered
881 Posts
i took the bike to work this morning for the first time this year. it was 30 degrees when i left the house but expecting 55 this afternoon which is nice for NEPA. it feels good to start the season but i know we can/will get some cold snaps here.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
i took the bike to work this morning for the first time this year. it was 30 degrees when i left the house but expecting 55 this afternoon which is nice for NEPA. it feels good to start the season but i know we can/will get some cold snaps here.
Might rain today so I'm in the cage. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and 55 though. I might make it the first day of the season for commuting on the bike...

·
Registered
707 Posts
is it just me??? i still cant seem to find that elusive 6th gear!!!

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Take It Easy

And man did I feel rusty. And edgy...while I was out there. It felt real good to be out, but then there was this weird sense of relief when I made it to my two destinations. I know it will pass, it just felt pretty odd.
I know exactly what you mean. When I'm off the bike for a while, I am noticeably rusty when I get back on it. I think it's a very good idea to take it easy until everything feels "natural" again.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Chair ride fellas. It really works...
been doing that since i put my bike up November 13...:motorcycl
its the closest thing I got... Other than sitting on it out in the garage...:):):)

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
What is chair ride...lol...??? I've been in the recliner about all winter but I can't seem to see that it helped anything, except maybe the right arm on the side lever...lol...
Honestly, what is chair ride, or am I jumping into a joke here????????
If so I'm biting...:)...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Old Dog, you sit in a chair, close your eyes and imagine that you are riding the goat trails in the mountains. Hold your hands out work the controls as if riding and so on. Make what you want of it, that is what it is. Word of caution don't ride faster then what you are able.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Right on LP. I told my daughter that she and her 3 sisters could all go together and get me two of Jerry "Motorman" Palladino`s, RIDE LIKE A PRO training videos for my birthday. The package arrived last week, and I couldn`t wait for 3 weeks to open it!! So for the past week I have been chair riding around cones in the parking lot, while in the friction zone. This has alternated with several chair rides thru 318 turns in 11 miles, at Deals Gap, on the Tail of the Dragon. I am determined to perfect the Motorman slow speed riding skills this year. I will also practice higher speed weaves and stops, until I am confident of being able to apply the skills in an emergency.

Check it out at www.ridelikeapro.com . He has several more videos, including one about surviving the mean streets. Here`s to wishing for warm temps and dry roads.:smiley_th

I know that watching videos is not really chair riding LP. I need to do some visualization exercises too.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
LP-I'm thinking that chair riding might help me with an early spring time problem I tend to have, don't know where it came from, but when I first start riding in the spring I tend to want to lean the bike without leaning with it, I usually have to force myself to lean with the bike the first couple of rides...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Late to the party
321 Posts
My first rides of the season this past week-end too!!!! Fantastic. I would have ridden into work today, but it is dark when I come in and the temp below freezing. (Not worried about the cold, but an ice patch or slippery RR tracks and manhole covers) I think for the rest of this week it is supposed to be above freezing overnight - so there will be some MC commuting this week. Joy.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just learned about the "Chair Riding" routine a couple weeks ago down in the Safety Forum posted by Liberty Pilot I believe.

<high-jacking my own thread now>

AJ, what kind of pipe did you put on your 250?

(Ya know, dealers here couldn't keep those bikes in stock at all when gas hit the $4+ gallon mark)

I've been considering getting one just for giggles. :rockon:

·
Registered
491 Posts
I know exactly what you mean. When I'm off the bike for a while, I am noticeably rusty when I get back on it. I think it's a very good idea to take it easy until everything feels "natural" again.
It helps me to hear about other folks feeling rusty after just a few weeks or months. After a 4-year absence I was feeling QUITE uneasy and somewhat paranoid like a new rider! It's taking me quite a while to feel comfortable again but fortunately I am feeling more confidant with each practice session and ride!

After the winter hibernation it's a good idea to get in at least a few practice sessions in an empty parking lot. It will do a LOT for your skill and your confidance.

Safe riding to all! :beerchug:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts