Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys know what's awesome? When you head out to the garage just to start the bike when it's negative 6 degrees. Then, after you rev it bit, your gas light comes on. Now you have to ride to the gas station because you don't want to store it empty. Forget this happening a day earlier when it was 40 degrees - lets wait till it's less than zero. Just my luck, I'll tell ya. Apparently she really can be a "Meanie!" :doh: LOL!!!!

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Wow -6*, Sorry LP, and I thought I was brave today when I rode 28mi in 52* weather...lol...
Anyway the bike hadn't been rode in over 3 wks., so I finished up getting the new bags on and stirred the oil a bit... I have do a 2 gal. can in the shed, and after a stop and a buck 50 of gas I topped it off to sit till another 50s day, which is not in the 7 day forcast...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
Yet another reason to make a gas station the last stop before home. Shiver! Hope you wore LOTS of sweaters.

·
Registered
796 Posts
-25 here in the great state of Maine! That is without the wind chill. I don't mind the cold but when your nose sticks shut on your 1st inhale outside it is time to stay in. lol I didn't even look at my sleds. haha

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Yea, Old Dog, you were probably riding about the time I was at work here in Bama looking up at the sun saying 'Man I should be riding". I'm jealous as hell.:doh:

·
Super Moderator
11,824 Posts
Yeah...we have had cold crappy weather here since Christmas, about a foot of accumulated snow, and the roads suck so bad I have not been out in 8 weeks on the bike. A record for me. Just has not been like this since I was a kid, last 7-8 years the winter here has always had a "break" of nice fairly warm weather... (like mid 50's).

Actually had to break down and get another battery charger (gave the other one away to the guy that bought my Vulcan.) The FJR has a rather big MF battery, but after 8 weeks in unheated garage I thought it be a good idea to spring for a battery maintainer.

Hopefully the precip will stay off and I'll find a nice sunny 38 degree day to get the bike out.

Tank was filled and Sea Foamed when I parked it last. And no more mice seem to want to make my ride a winter home.....................

KM

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Riding at minus 6*F, and you didn`t even have Carrie there to help warm you up with a 45 minute shower when you got home. :(
Dang, you must be hot blooded! I know you aren`t packing enough insulation to be that impervious to cold.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Yea, Old Dog, you were probably riding about the time I was at work here in Bama looking up at the sun saying 'Man I should be riding". I'm jealous as hell.:doh:
Well it really wasn't that much of a ride I only went 28 mi., just didn't dress well enough to ride much, not even long johns, just a jacket & chaps so I got a bit cool, but I did enjoy...lol...
Just enough to top off the battery and to stir & heat the oil up to operating temp. ...

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The condo assoc. doesn't allow gas stored in any garages. I can understand that though. I really didn't think I was THAT low at the end of my last ride. I had all my gear on, that's for sure. Sammy left me military grade long-johns - tops and bottoms and 3 of each. Not sure what they're made of but they deflect everything! Apart from that, it was neoprene, heated gloves, thick leather jacket and of course, full face. Fortunately the gas station is only a block away. I pull up and the attendant says 2 words to me, "You're CRAZY!" LOL!!!!

Actually Hoss, Carrie was there and I asked her if she wanted to hop on. She seriously considered it a while before declining. I come walking back in and shake off the cold. She goes, "Who do ya love?" "What?" I ask. "Come on dude, who do ya love?!" She points to the raging fire she built in the fireplace. Gotta love Carrie.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Actually Hoss, Carrie was there and I asked her if she wanted to hop on. She seriously considered it a while before declining. I come walking back in and shake off the cold. She goes, "Who do ya love?" "What?" I ask. "Come on dude, who do ya love?!" She points to the raging fire she built in the fireplace. Gotta love Carrie.
Wow, you got the perfect trifecta; a ride, a fire and the girl!:smiley_th

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Yeah...we have had cold crappy weather here since Christmas, about a foot of accumulated snow, and the roads suck so bad I have not been out in 8 weeks on the bike. A record for me. Just has not been like this since I was a kid, last 7-8 years the winter here has always had a "break" of nice fairly warm weather... (like mid 50's).
Tank was filled and Sea Foamed when I parked it last.
Ditto here - I haven't ridden since 12/10/2010 and it feels like forever!

Ice and snow still cover my local streets in NYC and seem like they will for the foreseeable future. It won't get above freezing except for a few short hours of daylight for the next 2 weeks - not enough to melt what's already there - plus whatever does melt, will freeze overnight.

Pfeh!

How long before I should pour Seafoam (and how much) in the tank? It was "pretty" full but not 100%.

Just starting her up and revving the engine in neutral while seated and imagining a ride is not sufficient, right?

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Same here till the 28 mi. ride yesterday, but it was 10* warmer here (12/10/2010) than yesterday. ...

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts

Ice and snow still cover my local streets in NYC and seem like they will for the foreseeable future. It won't get above freezing except for a few short hours of daylight for the next 2 weeks - not enough to melt what's already there - plus whatever does melt, will freeze overnight.
This might get me banned from the site but - just finished a ride, 80 miles of twisty mountain backroads. Temps mid 60s, blue sky. No traffic whatsoever. Tomorrow's forecast is more of the same.

Want to join me? Heading to Alice's Restaurant for lunch.

·
Super Moderator
11,824 Posts
This might get me banned from the site but - just finished a ride, 80 miles of twisty mountain backroads. Temps mid 60s, blue sky. No traffic whatsoever. Tomorrow's forecast is more of the same............
If you could get banned from the site for being a dikhead, I would have been gone long ago. ;)

Just will say instead that if I wanted to live in Crazyfornia, I'd be there already.

KM

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Just starting her up and revving the engine in neutral while seated and imagining a ride is not sufficient, right?
That's what I did last Winter with the occasional 30 minute ride when the roads were clear of ice and snow. When you start her up, pull choke so she's just above 3k rpm so you're charging the battery as well. Keep an eye on the temp gauge. I usually let her idle a bit before shutting her down. You'll see when you first start her, the exhaust will look thick and smoky. As she warms it should become barely perceptible. Throw sea foam in your full tank before you run her. If she's going to be idle for more than a few weeks, get a battery tender.

If you could get banned from the site for being a dikhead, I would have been gone long ago. ;)
ROFLMAO!!!!! That's hilarious! You know some good advice came from Greek myth. It was scribed by the god of academics, Apollo. He engraved it on the threshold of His temple, The Oracle at Delphi. It read: "Know Thyself." KM, maybe you're Apollo's reincarnate son, Hermes. Hermes was the cantankerous and mischeivious son of the gods - you know, the really fast guy, wings on his ankles. In direct, and intentional contravention to Zeus, he stole fire from Olympus and brought to us mortals in a fennel stalk. Zeus told Apollo to get a freekin' leash on his kid. Apollo caught him long after the deed was done and being the academian asked him, "Hermes, where does evil come from?" Hermes answer: "It comes from me." LOL!!!

Hey KM, don't be too hard on yourself. We're ALL guilty of it at least once. Frankly it's nice to hear about a part of the US that's not only NOT frozen solid but has some bikers out there enjoying the ride. :motorcycl

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
That was a very unexpected but very enjoyable Greek Mythology lesson lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts