Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never posted anything of comment of question of this site. But I must say I love it here.

I need 2 new tires. I am curious as to where any of you think it the best place to go for tires?

·
2,526 Posts
Depends on what you are willing to pay, You could go cheap with the Shinko's or Higher priced Metzlers. There's a lot to read up on tires and people's opinions of them. I got my Metzlers at Rocky Mountain Cycle on-line and paid about $225 for the pair.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
On the other end of the spectrum, I just bought a pair of Shinkos from Motorcycle Superstore for $135 including shipping.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
American Motorcycle Tire. Kenda Kruz 673 oversize, less than $140.00 for the set. Great tires. Showing no wear after 3200 miles.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Another thing you should think about is whether you plan to go oversized or not.

·
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.
500 Posts
Tires

In my experience you will get twice the wear out of the Metzeler 880s compared to the Shinko 230s. I love my Shinkos, however, I think they ride better than the Metzelers. If you ride more than 10,000 miles a year, consider Metzelers. If you run your tires at higher pressures, they will last longer, but you trade off for a bit harsher ride. Let us know what you decide. If you don't have much experience riding, it doesn't make much difference- you likely wouldn't notice.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i just bought from motorcycle superstore- -----Michelin Commander II --------these are pricey, but i think they will be good, lasting tires,..i had dunlop's before and didn;t get 2000 miles out of them riding here in the mountains of va,...

·
Registered
445 Posts
I also have the Commander II (170/80) and have 5000+ miles on the thing. Really a great tire and it's showing very little wear. Ran a MT66 (150/90) which I also liked and replaced after getting close to 18k on it. And a Spitfire S-11 (150/90) which I swapped out after 7K or so for the MT66 that was on another bike. Just didn't like the handling of the Spitfire and the wear was not as good as the MT66.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Hey KM, I know you were keeping a lit of what tires people were typically getting. Did you also include what kind of miles they were getting out of them if they ever said? Just curious about what people were getting from the shinkos. Too late now that I bought them, but still would be interested to see how aggressively I need start saving for new ones. :) Given that I needed to get the tires now and didn't have a lot of money, I think the shinkos were the right choice for me.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
...Dunlops.....stickiest tread, but lowest milage....Avon front is best option IMO (had one on my 21" spool Hallicrafters), and fer rear, ya can go "dark"....the front, IMO is more important than rear....
I cant really comment on the Metzlers, since I only ran Metz knobbys on my MX bikes...the Metzlers were awesome fer that, and theyre German...sooo, QC/design normally continues.

·
www.underworldlarp.ca
21 Posts
Another thing you should think about is whether you plan to go oversized or not.
Is there anything special one has to do in order to go oversized?

I am looking at a new set of tires. Continental Milestones or the Commander II Both are coming up as Oversized/Heavy.

·
www.underworldlarp.ca
21 Posts
Ha thanks Slim. :p

Cool, I thought better to ask and look like a newbie than need something extra after i buy em and look foolish.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Yer bad, bro.......lol....

Go 110/90 for front, or 120/80, IF you can find it....rear you can do similar, but can go larger OD which makes for better gas milage...stock rear is 150/90...you can go 160/90, or even 180/80 (or 180/90)...all depends on finding 19"s and 15"s...
...most common tires are either for 18 or 21 front, 16 rear....naturally, ours are a PITA. especially if looking for something special like whitewalls...
If I wasnt going whitewalls, I'd go Avon or Dunlop front, then a Metz rear...thats be my dream combo...

And for those who dont know, the 70/80/90 designations are percentages...height vs width...so an 90 tire will be tall and thin, whereas a 70 will be short and wide....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thank you Wolfie for explaining the 70/80/90 designations.

I just bought the Shinko tour master 230 for my front. I went oversized like others have done on this site. I purchased the 110/90-19 size from Bike Bandit for $65 including shipping. I ordered the tire on a Sunday, it was shipped Monday and I received it on Weds. of last week. I was sure to check the "born on date" and was happy to see my brand new tire was birthed in June of this year.:smiley_th

Finally had time to mount the tire today, took the bike out for a spin, and liked the feel of the tire. It felt so good to get back on the bike after two weeks of no riding due to cracks in the old tires sidewall.:motorcycl:D

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
my front tire has more cracks in it than the great wall of china but i still run on it mainly out of necessity (cool i spelt it right) got a shinko 170/80 in the mail for the rear but couldnt round up the coin for the front so now we pray for some more cars to break down near my shop and make my check grow lol
Thank you Wolfie for explaining the 70/80/90 designations.

I just bought the Shinko tour master 230 for my front. I went oversized like others have done on this site. I purchased the 110/90-19 size from Bike Bandit for $65 including shipping. I ordered the tire on a Sunday, it was shipped Monday and I received it on Weds. of last week. I was sure to check the "born on date" and was happy to see my brand new tire was birthed in June of this year.:smiley_th

Finally had time to mount the tire today, took the bike out for a spin, and liked the feel of the tire. It felt so good to get back on the bike after two weeks of no riding due to cracks in the old tires sidewall.:motorcycl:D

·
Bat
161 Posts
How Come?

I haven't heard any mention of Bridgestones, which is what I run and like them, since I don't know any better...they have been good to me, so far, with good wear and mileage, and good road grip.
So enlighten me, but be kind, and tell me why or why not Bridgestone??
Bat

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
I haven't heard any mention of Bridgestones, which is what I run and like them, since I don't know any better...they have been good to me, so far, with good wear and mileage, and good road grip.
Bat
i got bridges on my bike now but they are old as hell and hard and cracked but they still grip so i would say they arent a bad brand for what i have seen out of the old ones i have

but then again i always ran el cheapo's on my cages i have owned and they always lasted longer than the expensive ones i saw others buy cause i check my pressures regularly

with the old tires on my bike right now i am checking them every other day and i am running the front at 30 so as to not stress the cracks too much

·
Super Moderator
11,934 Posts
Bat
I think many don't pick Bridgestones because for alot of model years it was the stock tire. Folks tend to go two ways ... They either want something better than stock (Metz-Avon) or they want something cheaper (Stinkos)

Bridgestones are fine really. I don't think they handle wet roads as well as Metzlers and the fronts seem not as grippy.

I have not kept track of tire mileage, but it's hard to do fairly as one tire can last longer for one rider than it does for another. So I just look at performance.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts