Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this morning I got up early and thought I'd attempt my first oil change on my '01. Yeah....um, no.

Previous owner put the plug on tight enough to make sure it would never come off again.

My socket wrench hits against the frame, so I can't get it on snug. My adjustable crescent wrench was useless. I have no other crescent wrench to fit. Finally, I tried vise grips. Well, despite my best intentions, all I had to show for it were metal shavings on the garage floor.

It'll be OK to get off, but it's not useful for continued use, so I need a replacement. If you have one to sell, PM me, please.

Thanks!
-Anth

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
So, this morning I got up early and thought I'd attempt my first oil change on my '01. Yeah....um, no.

Previous owner put the plug on tight enough to make sure it would never come off again.

My socket wrench hits against the frame, so I can't get it on snug. My adjustable crescent wrench was useless. I have no other crescent wrench to fit. Finally, I tried vise grips. Well, despite my best intentions, all I had to show for it were metal shavings on the garage floor.

It'll be OK to get off, but it's not useful for continued use, so I need a replacement. If you have one to sell, PM me, please.

Thanks!
-Anth
I had similar issues....I replaced mine....New ones are not cheap.

:smiley_th

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Hey Anth...the drain plug with the screen behind it is on the left side of the bike. This is the one you should be using with the bike on the side stand.

There is also another drain on the bottom. If you marred up the bottom bolt head, you can probably go to any auto parts store to replace it.

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
You can try any auto parts store as KC mentioned and if the internal threads are overly butchered you can try one of the universal rubber plugs or if only mildly butchered try to run a correct sized tap to chase the threads. They also make a box wrench that is designed to grip on rounded off bolt heads. Check out the Craftsman website or stop at a local Sears store. I believe Wolfie either had a similar experience or helped another member here with their oil plug problem. Good luck and let us know the outcome.

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
Glad it all worked out. You just have to realize that the knowledge you gained actually cost you a little bit. As they say, "Nothing is free in this world."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts