Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Bat
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The PO of my bike stuck a big gold embossed plaque "Ride to Live, Live to Ride" right in the center of the top of my gas tank, below the cap. I would dearly love to get rid of the thing (free to anyone who wants it!), but have to find out how to remove it. I think it is one of those foam-backed ones, about 4" diameter, with sticky on the bottom.

Does anyone know what will remove it without taking the top layer of gas tank with it? Don't want to ruin the finish, soften the paint, or scratch anything:doh:. Is there a sticky remover out there that I can trust to do the job safely and efficiently?
I'd appreciate all the help I can get at this time, thanks!
Bat

·
Banned
448 Posts
WD-40 works the best.
Rubbing alcohol works without marring the paint.
There is a product called Goof Off, but it has xylene in it which can soften older paint.
If you have access to a hair dryer, get it hot first to soften the backing, then peel it off to lessen the chance of marring the paint, then use the WD-40 or rubbing alcohol.
Should take it right off.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Dont know about Goo Off, but googone works real nice, got all the residue off my side plates when I removed the emblems and yes a hair dryer works nice to loosen and soften the sticky tape.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
take a piece of fishing line and slip it under the edge of the emblem aand take hold of each end and use a sawing motion by pulling back and forth while pulling it toward you till the emblem comes off,naptha or any solvent on a soft cloth used in moderation will remove the residue and a little of your favorite wax will bring the shine back.

Reactions: niterider

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
+ 1 on the hairdryer to soften the adhesive prior to attempting removal. I had an interesting POW/MIA sticker on my front fender, and hair dryer and goo-gone worked well..

Kevin

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Dont know about Goo Off, but googone works real nice, got all the residue off my side plates when I removed the emblems and yes a hair dryer works nice to loosen and soften the sticky tape.
X2 After heating I used thin fishing line and pulled it underneath the emblem. Cuts thru the foam tape easily.

·
Bat
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You guys are great! Thanks a million...it's coming off tomorrow!! Believe it or not, I did come up with the thread/line idea on my own, but the hair dryer is genius! I'll let you know . thanks.
Bat

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
The fishing line and hair dryer together will remove the emblem, but will leave part of the foam/adhesive. It may be impossible to completely remove it without leaving some marks, due to the fact that the tank is clear coated, and clear coat is a LOT softer and more easily damaged than the base (color) coat. Products like Goo Gone and Goof Off are good, as are WD-40 and lighter fluid. But none of them will take it right off. I suggest using WD-40, a hair dryer to keep the adhesive soft, and, of all things, half of a wooden clothespin, to slowly and carefully scrape it off. The soft wood soaked in WD-40 is less nlikely to scratch than anything else, and WD-40 does not evaporate, meaning once you get it off an area, it will not restick, as the area will be covered with WD-40. WD-40 also acts as a lubricant, and will help prevent scratching. Yes, I'm a big fan of the stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts