Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I.T. Analyst, Alpha Geek
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Idjit kid who had this bike said the wiring was all good. Turns out the R/R plug has been eaten by acid and one pin is scorched looking. I need a new plug without replacing my whole harness. Thanks.

·
I.T. Analyst, Alpha Geek
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
it doesn't look right. th eone I posted a link to is definantly the right one... but for the price of the one on ebay, I would give it a shot, and if it doesn't work then get the one from Electrosport.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Or just solder it...

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Or just solder it...
you can't solder plastic... the problem with these R/r connectors is they are right under the battery box where battery acid starts taking its toll on the plastic, then the heat of the Goat Belly starts making the brittle plastic even more brittle. Over time the heat and acid destroys the connector. I tried soldering 1/4" spades and hooking hem in with out a connector, filled the inside of my R/R up with silicone, then taped the heck out of it with electrical tape, then plastic dipped the whole thing to make a water tight seal around the connections. but even with all that work, I didn't have as good of a connection as I did when I got the correct plug. (which I stilled soldered the terminals onto the wires).

·
I.T. Analyst, Alpha Geek
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ordered both. They're the same. Both the eBay and that Electrosport part fit, but the clip is on the wrong side of both so it only slides on. It doesn't clip in securely. I may just rig something up to hold it.

Still looking for a good plug if someone has a junk harness, or a connector with the correct clip. Thanks.

·
I.T. Analyst, Alpha Geek
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm "modifying" the end that would go on the R/R and should be unused. I'm takign off the rear section that woudl be inside the R/R if this plug was installed, and cutting away the protruding plastic from the R/R/ clip so that this new one slides over the pins.

The pins hold it firmly, but I'm gluing it as well. Then I can use the nwe plug on my harness by popping the pins out of the old plug and sliding them into the new one.

The plug will fit and snap shut securly, and I only have to remove/crimp one lead that was burn anyway.

I'll post pictures if anyone wants to see exactly what I'm doing. Never underestimate the ingenuity of a poor man who wants to ride. :beerchug:

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
heh...brings back memories...my ex GF used to use that term a lot....(damn, I miss her)....

My plug was kinda "melted" too...I pulled it off, reset all the connectors to proper depth, then coated those worn/melted spots on the outside with JB Weld....been fine since....gotta be 8k miles ago now....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts