Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes everyone has one and I am interested in yours! Absolutely love my 1986 VN750 but saw this bike and it peeked my interest. I am interested in your thoughts?

1986- Honda Shadow VT 1100 Motorcycle - $1,800

http://dayton.craigslist.org/mcy/2784660883.html

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Hey, I can't tell you anything about the 1100 but I bought a new 700 that was a great bike... I liked the style and everything (still do)... I put 23K on the 700 in a year without a hitch other than at the last the rectifier kept goin out, that's why I got rid of it... Knowing what I know now I think it was the shops & my problem... very simuliar to our VN750s, probably have the power at lower rpm, but not the all out scream, just guessin at that...

Here is a pic of my 80s ?? Mod. VT700 Shadow, (I added the Rectangular Hd. light.) I don't like the new models/styles...JMO...

BTW-That was a slide & photographed from my slide screen & the slide was in bassackwards...lol...
HTH, Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
Honda built the original 1100cc Shadow like the one you've found, and are interested in....back in 1985 & '86.

Then, Honda completely revamped the 1100cc Shadow for 1987, and redid the bike to emulate one of the Harley cruisers (I think it was the "Wide Glide" of the time).

But the Shadow that you've found is actually a much better bike than the later 1100cc Shadow version.

Essentially, this bike is just a bigger-engine version of our VN750, with all very similar bells and whistles.

If well cared for, the bike is indeed a good bike.

But the real problem with this machine that you're going to encounter (if you buy it) is that some of the parts for it are no longer readily available. The same problem exists for some of the early Magnas, too.

The bike you currently have, the VN750, has just the opposite situation. The bike was built for a long time, in large numbers, and so parts should for the most part anyway, be available for quite a while.

Hope this helps....

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
Hey, I can't tell you anything about the 1100 but I bought a new 700 that was a great bike... I liked the style and everything (still do)... I put 23K on the 700 in a year without a hitch other than at the last the rectifier kept goin out, that's why I got rid of it... Knowing what I know now I think it was the shops & my problem... very simuliar to our VN750s, probably have the power at lower rpm, but not the all out scream, just guessin at that...

Here is a pic of my 80s ?? Mod. VT700 Shadow, (I added the Rectangular Hd. light.) I don't like the new models/styles...JMO...

BTW-That was a slide & photographed from my slide screen & the slide was in bassackwards...lol...
HTH, Have a good one...Old Dog...
I'm probably the only one that would notice it but why is this pic a mirror image? is your original pic like that too?

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
wib714, it's what I said under the pic., it was a slide that I had put in the projector backwards, and digitally photographed it off the screen that way... I don't think I had a scanner at the time, I just took pictures of my slide collection off the screen, it would have done the same if scanned upside down... Sorry bout that...
Don't see many right side kick stands either...lol...

OldBikeNewRider, like theauhawk said they were good bikes and I loved my 700, but if parts are hard to get, that would be another story... Fact is that's why I went to the VN750, so simuliar...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
wib714, it's what I said under the pic., it was a slide that I had put in the projector backwards, and digitally photographed it off the screen that way... I don't think I had a scanner at the time, I just took pictures of my slide collection off the screen, it would have done the same if scanned upside down... Sorry bout that...
Don't see many right side kick stands either...lol...

OldBikeNewRider, like theauhawk said they were good bikes and I loved my 700, but if parts are hard to get, that would be another story... Fact is that's why I went to the VN750, so simuliar...
I see that now, missed it the time aruond, my bad. I work for cvs pharmacy and we develop film, I've had cashiers put the negatives in the machine backwards and the pics come out backwards, one lady returned hers because all the pics were fine and she didnt notice everyone on opposite side of where they were actually standing until one picture where a guy had writing on his shirt!

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
The '86 Shadow is a good bike, but I would not buy one. The reason? An almost complete lack of parts availability. When some little part fails, you'll find yourself the proud owner of a boat anchor. Many different Shadow models have been made over the years, my favorite by far is the 1987 Honda standard Shadow 1100, which was sold for 20 years virtually unchanged, and called the Shadow Spirit in later years, up until production ended in '07. This is the most comfortable, best handling, and most reliable of all Shadow models, it had shaft drive, cast wheels with tubeless tires, hydraulic valves, spin on oil filter, and a very simple liquid cooled engine, with about half as many parts as the Vulcan 750 engine. It does not rev like the VN750, but the extra displacement makes up for the loss in power due to the simple engine. It does not vibrate like a Harley, because it uses offset crankpins to make it run smooth, so it doesn't have the Harley sound either. And it gets by just fine without a complicated counterbalancer. I personally think it is a great looking bike, and would not hesitate to buy or own one. Since it was made for so long, and was such a popular bike (it sold in far greater numbers than the VN750), most parts are still available for it, as well as many accessories.

Here is a link to a picture of an '02 model. http://www.eurekaboy.com/shadow/bike1.jpg I find it interesting that this bike, which is a bit heavier than a Vulcan 750, came from the factory with only one front disc, and I have been unable to find any magazine tests where anybody complained about a problem with it's braking.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info. You'll a good fountain of info, especially about the parts availability. I really like my 750, and the old bikes of the 80's all get me going. I do like the looks of these old one. It does look in good shape but I don't need a hanger queen!

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Thanks for all the info. You'll a good fountain of info, especially about the parts availability. I really like my 750, and the old bikes of the 80's all get me going. I do like the looks of these old one. It does look in good shape but I don't need a hanger queen!
I fully agree, loved my VT700 Shadow except for the rectifier problem, and the 03 & 06 VN750 (Clyde), something about the 80s style bikes that just says motorcycle to me, others just seem to say geezer glide or something...lol...

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I would love to have an old late '70s/early '80s air cooled inline four. And I have seen plenty of them on Craigslist. And on all the ones that really interested me, I did a thorough search for parts, both at all the online oem parts places and eBay. And what I found was "discontinued" over and over again. The Japanese don't support their older bikes, and unlike Harleys, old British bikes, and old cars, their is no aftermarket support either. I used to belong to the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club (vjmc.org), and some of those people had been looking for parts for their bikes for years.

I was given a non running 1985 Goldwing several months ago, and even with the support of five different Goldwing forums and probably the best parts availability of all the older Japanese bikes, I like to never found all the parts I needed to get it going. In fact I had to modify some parts from other bikes, use car parts, and outright fabricate some of the parts. Despite the bike being free, I put over $1500 and well over 100 hours of work getting it up and running (and stopping). And I wouldn't have been able to do that if a local member of one of the forums hadn't DONATED me a rear wheel. My rear wheel was one of the early '85 designs that were defective from the factory. The right side bearing just fell out when I took the wheel off, it had been spinning for some time and destroyed the wheel. The guy gave me an '86 wheel. Hopefully it is going to be ok for quite some time now, the engine seems solid.

But had I known up front what was going to be involved, I would have never even considered trying to fix it up.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, so now you know I like the older bikes, what comes after a VN750? The only thing else is a 1500 or 1600 VN?

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
The older models of the 1500 (before the Classic) were nice bikes, but only had about the same power relative to their size and weight as the 750. In a drag race they wer about dead even, and they didn't handle as well. Be aware that all the 1500s through '98 had the plastic oil pump gear (POG) which failed on a regular basis on the Classic, usually around 30,000 miles, and took the engine with it. It is no longer covered by warranty. for some reason the same gear rarely ever failed in the older dual carb 1500, and nobody seems to know why. I would seriously consider a 1500 non Classic through '98. They replaced the gear with a steel on in '99, but also discontinued the non Classic model. I would not buy a 1500 Classic, surprisingly not because of the fuel injection, but because it had wire wheels and tube type tires, and no centerstand. And it was one heavy bike. Without a centerstand (which my '85 Goldwing has), there is no way you are going to get a wheel off out on the road, which IMO makes the bike unsuitable for touring.

I like old everything. The newest car I have ever owned was a 1977. I will not own a car with an electronic/computer controlled engine, fuel injection, and emissions crap. I now stick with 1974 and earlier cars, because of the catalytic converter. Bikes have been ok as far as that crap goes up until recently, now they are being taken over by the same crap that ruined new cars. Even Harleys are computer controlled and fuel injected now, but that can be used to the owners advantage. That computer controlled fuel injection can be remapped to richen the mixture from idle to redline. Not as reliable as a carb, but at least you can make them run right (and not overheat) as long as the electronics hold up. And when they go, you can still put a carb on them. I know 2 people with carbureted Twin Cams. A relatively straightforward conversion.

If you want to get into older bikes, I would suggest a Harley, a BMW airhead, or an old British bike. The old Brit bikes can now be fitted with modern carbs, modern Japanese controls and electrics, modern cables, chains, sprockets, and a number of much higher quality than original internal engine parts that make them much more reliable. You can actually build a mid '60s Triumph that will last for more than 50,000 trouble free miles, then rebuild it and do it again. Due to the parts you can't replace, and some design problems that cannot be corrected, you will not likely go much more than 50,000 miles before you start having some issues, but that's not bad for a bike just to ride around on.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Ok, so now you know I like the older bikes, what comes after a VN750? The only thing else is a 1500 or 1600 VN?
I know this rubs some raw, but in 09 when I couldn't get a new VN750 I went with a new 09 Sportster Custom and had things setup to my liking, cast wheels w/tubless tires, a bit higher bars, stage 1, added a bit to the cost but that is what I wanted and after 17k I've still got the vibes but lovin the bike, believe it or not, I think it's close to a VN750, and I love it in the twisties, vibes and all ...lol...:beerchug:...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts