Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I did my oil change yesterday, there was nothing on the end of the drain plug--just the plug, no screen.

If anyone's got a spare, please PM me. Otherwise, I'll just keep an eye on ye olde eBay.

Thanks!

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
When I did my oil change yesterday, there was nothing on the end of the drain plug--just the plug, no screen.

If anyone's got a spare, please PM me. Otherwise, I'll just keep an eye on ye olde eBay.

Thanks!
Did you drain from the bottom of engine case or the one on the shifter side of the engine? Bottom bolt doesn't have one, shifter side does.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Shifter side. I also don't have the spring or anything that's in the OEM diagram--literally just the plug/bolt.

I found it both on BikeBandit.com a little bit ago. It'll have to wait until next paycheck. Besides, I won't install it until next oil change anyway. Bike's been running fine without it, although obviously it is there for a reason so I do want to get it rectified.

Thanks!
-Anth

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I assume you stuck your pinky in the opening and felt around to be sure it wasn't just stuck in there. take a closer look with a flashlight if you can get down that low.

The screen does not come out easily when the drain plug is removed.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Um...no. :doh:

Being new to the bike and new to changing the oil I just assumed it would be connected to the plug and come out as one unit.

You might be right.

(Sorry, guys, for possibly starting a needless thread. Rookie mistake.)

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts

Being new to the bike and new to changing the oil I just assumed it would be connected to the plug and come out as one unit.

You might be right.

That would be too easy, LOL!

No worries! Just think, if you do find it, you won't have to spend the money for a new one!

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts

You might be right.

No need to be sorry because I am sure there are more experienced members here that did the same thing when they first started. You may have started a thread that will help another newbie in the future. Everybody can learn from a mistake, either your own or from someone else. Some one will be saying thanks to you silently at some point. lol

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Hey Anth...no worries.

the oil is fresh, so just drain it and take a look. then you can always put the oil back in.

FYI: when you see oil screens with holes in them....it's usually a pinky hole from someone trying to remove it.

Be gentle with it. :smiley_th

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
If you dont find your parts in there, lemme know....I'll give ya mine....I dont use it anyway....all the parts just sittin on the workbench since last season....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Everybody can learn from a mistake, either your own or from someone else. Some one will be saying thanks to you silently at some point. lol
Well I made an account just to say thanks. I checked with my pinky and did a double check with a flash light and viola it was waaaay back there.
Previous owner must have jabbed it back farther than intended.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
The last time I changed my oil I found that the rubber washer part of the screen had broken off and the screen was just stuck back in there. So I had to buy a new one from the dealer for about $8. I guess the first time I changed my oil I had read enough threads on here to know that the screen was supposed to be there so I just stuck my finger in there to find it. :)

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
If anybody needs a used screen, spring washer, and oil plug I've got the set $25 with shipping. IM me if interested.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
If anybody needs a used screen, spring washer, and oil plug I've got the set $25 with shipping. IM me if interested.
= = Oil plug is $20.00 by itself...
Just sayin'

:smiley_th

1 - 17 of 17 Posts