Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all,
I got new handlebars and need new grips too. Will 1" grips fit? I was looking at some on ebay and it said they were "compatible" with my '93. Please let me know what you guys think? Thanks in advance!

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Maybe the throttle.

·
Registered
182 Posts
no 1'' will not fit our bars are 7/8'' bars check out your local bike shop u can get a set from parts unlimited for 15 bucks right off the shelf
i just bought these
there are a few different sets or ebay is always good

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
There's millions of em on ebay

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, thanks! I think the person I bought the bike from originally had 1" grips, but they seemed to slip every once in a while. I'll definitely check out more. Thanks again

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
1" grips should more than slip.

·
Registered
7,641 Posts
Just put these on mine, really like them. Need to slide the throttle boss up some. They're really comfy and huge improvement in the feel of control over the skinny grips it had. I probably should have got the flat caps instead of the spikes. This is a good deal, he will drop to $28: http://www.ebay.com/itm/291360022310?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

These are the flat caps, he might go to $26: http://www.ebay.com/itm/301494121137?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

They must be knockoffs, but I couldn't tell the difference in the 1" Kuryakyn set I just sold, and both sets are made in Korea.

They shipped quick.

edit: Looks like there's a difference in the way the throttle boss is made. I like how mine lays flat without that ledge at the side. The boss on the flat cap set looks like it's made to use on the left grip. Some people use two.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was actually looking at the same set on amazon and my only thought was if the throttle tube that was already inside these grips would work with our bikes. Did you have any issues? They LOOK like they should and the dimensions seem right on the amazon page.

I like the 'flat' throttle boss on the spiked one as well, but I don't like the spike all that much.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Looks like those ones don't come with the throttle tube. I like to 'ISO' look of the others, my only concern about the other set are if the tubes work fine with our bike. Mine's technically an 85 vn700... but same thing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
That makes me a bit skeptical of these. They say the ID is 7/8" so it should fit our bars. Guess I'll have to wait to see if spockster said he had any issues installing them.

·
Registered
7,641 Posts
Mine came with the throttle sleeve, only problem was I had re-glue the left grip, didn't use enough the first time.

Some people said they had to loosen the throttle cables to put the throttle sleeve on, I didn't have to. Open the throttle, grab the longest cable end with needle-nose pliers and rotate the throttle and cable end so it slips out. Reverse for install. Had to take it off a few times troubleshooting the start button. I think one time I did block the carbs wide open, but just used my hip to hold the throttle the other times.

I used compressed air on a nozzle to pop the old rubber grips off, the whole job took about 10-15min, including new Kury wide levers ($3 :) .

Thought I needed to adjust the throttle boss, but it seemed to be just about right on a ride yesterday.

Yeah that one throttle boss in the pic is made for the left grip. Some people might like it that way, but it seems unnatural on the right side.

·
Registered
44 Posts
@michiganteddybear: excellent, I had read that as well!

Thanks Spockster! That definitely re-assures me on these. My only question is, since these come with the throttle tube, do you need to pop the old rubber grips off? Or can you just take the whole tube/grip assembly off as one piece and replace with this set? Going to lube my cables while I have them disconnected for this too.

Good to know about the positioning, been wanting a Boss for longer rides, crampy hands are no fun!

I did find one set that appears to have the 'fat' throttle boss on it without the spikes, it's listed for 29.99 instead of 26, but $3 wont break me. :)

·
Registered
7,641 Posts
The left grip is the only one that might be glued on, the throttle side slides off after the cables are off. No need to take the grip off the throttle sleeve, my old one is still with the old grip.

The throttle boss is easy to adjust, just loosen the screws and the holes are slotted.

Some people say to take the end cap off to let air in/out when you are gluing, but I didn't have to do that either. I didn't use super glue, would have to check to see what i did use.

I love the ride with these grips! Did I say that already?

I sold my 1" Kury ISOs to a local VRA member with a larger Vulcan, he was real happy to get them.

·
Registered
7,641 Posts
Should give you a heads up on the throttle cable r&r.

Using the method I described above, on one of the several times I removed the throttle grip and tube, I broke a tiny piece of the plastic where the slotted hole is for the cable end (on the throttle tube). Was worried at first but it's not a problem, actually made r&r easier.

I remember someone else here posting about breaking that, they didn't have any trouble with it either. It was just small sliver of plastic, less than 1/4" long, about as thick as a dime. Once the cables are in the slots they stay put.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well, you have pretty much sold me on these now. Sounds incredibly easy. Any suggestions for loosening any possible glue on the left aside from getting something in there to pry? I don't have access to a compressor at home (really need to get one..) was thinking WD40 and lots of wiggling and then cleaning with alcohol after.

Thanks for the heads up on the install, just based on the pictures I think I know which piece you are referring to. I'll be sure to be careful of that.

I've got a VN700 so the engine is black vs silver of the 750, so any added chrome really pops on the bike and these I think would be a great and quick addition.

·
Super Moderator
11,815 Posts
Really? Why do you want to save the stock grips? Take a freaking razor blade and cut them open down their length and pull them off. Use a file or sandpaper to grind down the "tabs" on the throttle sleeve so it's a nice smooth tube and put whatever grips on you want.....

1 - 20 of 96 Posts