Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks, first post...looking for a motor to replace the one in my father's '86 vn750. Any idea where I might find one close to western Pa? He's currently experiencing some connecting rod noise, stator problems. Thinking a swap might be simpler and easier on the wallet. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. ...Rog.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Check eBay. Last week someone was selling a motor in Kittaning (I think it finally went for around $500, including shipping); and I think there may be one on there now. If you search on "Vulcan 750 motor" or "engine", you'll see "related terms" such as "vn750," "vn 750", "Kawasaki VUlcan 750." Check all of 'em, 'cause postings don't always overlap.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Before you blame the con rod, check out the Automatic Cam Chain Adjustors. I thought I had spun a con rod or main bearing in my engine as the noise was similar to that problem but it turned out to be the cam chain tensioners. Of course I discovered this AFTER I had completely torn the engine down. You may also want to check the left side balancer as it too can make a noise similar to a bearing problem. As long as the oil level was kept up and changed regularly, there is no reason for a bearing failure in these bikes. The bearings are very well made and are pretty resiliant to failure unless the oil is neglected or it has been in a crash. It will save you some $$ to check these things out as replacement engines usually go for over $600 and even then they usually don't come with electrical parts or have other problems from a crash that require a case split like a bent shift shaft or something similar.
If it is a con rod, there are undersize bearing available after a machine shop grinds the crank. Our engines are complex but not too hard to work on if you have the patience and the right tools.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I second that...

Check the ACCT's for noise. My bro, who is a good mechanic, guessed the same thing on my VN - bad crank - when it was just a weak ACCT. Cost to fix? $0 so far. Just remove the small cap screw on the end of the ACCT, stick a small screwdriver in (I recommend with the engine running) and slowly tighten until the rattle can sound quiets down.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Just note that you have to turn the inner screw to the left to tighten it against the chains

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks very much...I'll pass this info over to him. He really likes the bike but was told was told by the local stealership that it was a bad crank bearing and was gonna cost him a lot to fix. We'll try out tightening the ACCT. Thank you. ...Rog.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Before I knew for sure the shop knew what they were talking about, I'd ask them if they were at all familiar with the 750 Vulcan.

I may have a line on an older Vulcan (not sure of the year yet) that's been sitting for awhile. If/when I find some info on it, I'll let ya know. Hopefully I'll see the guy tomorrow at work.

I'm about 20 or miles north of Pgh, where about's are you??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts