Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I've been working on the bike, and it's mostly good news. I have the front brake working again. The rear brake is still problematic, but I do not know whether it is the pedal or not. I can't tell whether it is actually bent or not. Finally, I found what's ailing the rear fender: the bolts securing the saddlebag supports to the fender are gone. Those are relatively minor issues. This is what's bugging me.

When I replaced the broken ignition switch with the new "used" one, the engine would have a lot of trouble starting then simply die off. I was afraid there was additional internal damage. Reading some of the threads here, I decided to rule out electrical issue. Thus I connected the switch from the broken key-lock mechanism and simply connected it using a flat head screw-driver to turn it. The engine roared and stayed on => I went ahead a swapped the working switch onto the working key-lock mechanism. So that's great news.

Here comes the bad. When I went to remove the broken ignition switch, I found that a small part of the support it is screwed into had broken off as well. I have three options:

1. Replace the whole handle bar support. (I would like to avoid this if I can.)

2. Glue the small broken piece back on there. Put the ignition key back into its original location. (This would remove any chance of locking the neck, but it'd be a great temporary if not long term fix.)

3. Relocate the ignition as I know some on here have done. To those who have relocated their ignition, how do you lock the bike?

I appreciate any input regarding these three options. And if you think there's any additional option, please let me know. In addition to the problem enumerated above, I would need to realign the handlebars, and the VN will be back to her old self.

Thanks for all input.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nothing a different browser wouldn't fix. You can see the broken thread in the upper portion of the image.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SlimVulanRider, could you provide more information as to how you went about relocating your switch? What should I look out for? It seems you put your in the air intake. Does this lower the surface area for the air intake?
Any suggestion is highly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
11,869 Posts
Nothing a different browser wouldn't fix. You can see the broken thread in the upper portion of the image.
Yeah that's a FUBAR alright. I could see me drilling another hole and fabbing a strap or something... It's just a switch really... But ...

You're better off relocating. If you open the airbox you'll see there's a bit if room.

You can put it anywhere that's handy. Seen one mounted to the handlebar...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts