Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
2002 VN 750
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need help?

:confused: I have been told my 02' 750 needs the case split to fix my shifter, is it easier or less expensive to swap the motor/tranny than to split the case.
If so what should be swapped out and would it save money to swap?

Any other info would be very helpful.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
It all depends on what the problem is. Your info here is not enough to give a good answer.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts

·
2002 VN 750
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry guys, I guess the shaft is broken inside from what I was told.
The mechanic has told me the cases need to be split.
They went in throught the rear clutch case area and the linkage is attached.
So there for the case needs split, I am looking at about 900-1000 dollars to fix it.
I didn't win the lottery so that is why I am trying to find less expensive options, or am I stuck with spliting the cases?

What more info do you guys need me to find out?

Thnk you in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Sorry guys, I guess the shaft is broken inside from what I was told.
The mechanic has told me the cases need to be split.
They went in throught the rear clutch case area and the linkage is attached.
So there for the case needs split, I am looking at about 900-1000 dollars to fix it.
I didn't win the lottery so that is why I am trying to find less expensive options, or am I stuck with spliting the cases?

What more info do you guys need me to find out?

Thnk you in advance.
We are very skeptical here. What is the year of bike and mileage? What is the problem with the transmission ( symptoms )? I guess you were told either the input shaft or output shaft was broken. You are being quoted an expensive repair so make sure it's needed.

·
2002 VN 750
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
to Jm2001
My bike is an 02' it has 36,000 miles on it
The shift lever just flopping up and down, it is
stuck in 1st gear.
The mechanic tells me it already has the quick fix of placing
a piece of metal between the case and shifter lever to keep
the shifter shaft from sliding in and out.
They told me that the linkage is intact?
I was then told the the shaft was broken.
Is the repair worth it?
My bike is in excellent shape, well maintained.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
to Jm2001
My bike is an 02' it has 36,000 miles on it
The shift lever just flopping up and down, it is
stuck in 1st gear.
The mechanic tells me it already has the quick fix of placing
a piece of metal between the case and shifter lever to keep
the shifter shaft from sliding in and out.
They told me that the linkage is intact?
I was then told the the shaft was broken.
Is the repair worth it?
My bike is in excellent shape, well maintained.
Your bike is not old and not that many miles. I doubt any shaft is broken. I still think it's related to the shifter pawl, either frozen or broken. I would also check the linkage between the shift lever and acctuator for breakage. The case has to be split in any case so you're paying a lot in labor.
I think the bike is worth it if you bought it right although 2 VN 750s with less than 10,000 miles each sold for less than $2700.00 at a dealer, one a 2002 and one a 2004.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
The earlier bikes had a shift rod that would eventually break. They fixed that and yours is the heavier, improved shaft.

Unless you really trust the mechanic to know what he's talking about, I'd be dubious about what he says is wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Splitting the cases is a nightmare of a job that requires skill, patience, lots of time, a good place to work, and the right tools. I am an auto mechanic, and have all those, other than never having split the cases on a 4 stroke motorcycle engine before. I would not attempt it. I love to build vintage car engines, but the Vulcan 750 is way more complicated than any car engine.

Just what are the symptoms? Does the shaft just move back and forth in the cases? If so, a spacer between the shifter will correct the problem. If it is the linkage rod inside the engine, that goes front to back, then you have to split the cases, which means a COMPLETE engine teardown, to the last nut and bolt. Here's where the Vulcan engine's complexity becomes a big problem.

Before considering a job like that, I would watch ALL of Roach's videos on what is involved. They are VERY good, and will give you a realistic idea of what you are up against, and will be a lot of help if you decide to go for it.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Last summer bigpakapump replaced the tie rod without removing the engine or splitting the cases as per this link:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19276

It sounds like quite a chore, but seems to be possible if you have enough determination and patience.

Here is a link to roach`s videos and a table of contents of what is on each one:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18289

It will give you an idea of what the inside looks like, and what you need to accomplish to change that tie rod without splitting the cases.

Good luck with the project. :smiley_th

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Having never had the engine apart, but having watched all of Roach's videos, I would also say it is impossible, but if has been done, I guess not. However, I am normally the skeptical type, and like to see proof. I don't doubt this guy did it, I'm just wondering if it could be done right this way.

IMO, even though my engine rebuilding experience has been limited to car engines, You cannot, or certainly should not, simply take an engine apart and put it back together. You need to do it the way Roach did, check every single part, every single clearance, always rehone the cylinders and lap the valves, pretty much what Roach did, although I would have also checked the crankshaft journals and con rod big end bearings, and would have in fact replaced the bearings. The Vulcan 750 does not have many replaceable bearings, but I would replace all the ones it does have. When you get into the transmission, I would carefully inspect every part with a magnifying glass, including the gear teeth and dogs, and replace anything I was not absolutely certain of.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts