Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok first off i'm new to this so I will try to put everything I know maybe someone can help (It would be very much appreciated)
I picked up an 89 Vulcan 750 a couple of weeks ago and it had been sitting for a while so after i cleaned the carbs and the replaced needle valve, it fired up.
Now the problem is rear right plug is not sparking, I swapped plugs and the same thing.My question is if my igniter is bad would all the other plugs work

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also to ad my old regulator wasn't charging so i bought a used one off of ebay not it only put out just barley over 12v, the battery is new too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also to ad my old regulator wasn't charging so i bought a used one off of ebay now it only puts out just barley over 12v, the battery is new too.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
When making test make sure that the batt has plenty of power. It looks like to me that you may have a bad coil.

·
Registered Badass
102 Posts
Somewhat off topic but I'd highly suggest cleaning out the gas tank if you haven't done so already. That tank could be full of terror. The carb cleaning will be a waste if it get's full of goo again.

These bikes have two coils. One in the front (under the left plastic panel) and one in the rear just in front of the battery.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but if one of the coils was bad I think he'd lose spark on two plugs, not just one. Might just be a bad wire/connection.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
you can have a bad coil that only sparks on one side.. this would happen if the wire inside the coil is damaged between left and right plug wires

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Sounds like either a bad coil or a bad wire. If you switch the wires on the coil, and the same plug doesn't fire, it is the coil.

The battery voltage should be around 14V with the engine running at 3000 rpm. The battery will actually discharge at idle, especially with the headlight on. Working properly, the Vulcan's charging system puts out all the power a STOCK bike needs, and just a little bit more. If you add electrical accessories, you may have problems with the battery going dead.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
X2^ Sounds like a bad coil.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok I got a used ignition coil from eBay, the old coil tested at 12.8 at secondarys. Put the new (used) one in the. Fired her up, everything was going good then it started sputtering around 3000 rpms again, now it feels the same all over again, I need some help please. And also when It changed I lost my tach for a min. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And she's not charging, I relplaced the regulator and tested the stator leads and they were fine but it seems like I have a short but I can't find it.

·
Premium Member
4,779 Posts
Check your battery and ground connections. My tach started jumping due to a loose connection.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts