Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:BLAM: How do you tighten the tachometer?I removed screw in back,housing moves a little.Is there some way to tighten the tach securely to its brace?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I believe both the tach and the speedometer are not supposed to be tightly secured to the frame, or anything else. The are supposed to have some free-play to absorb vibration.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dan

The tach is just loose.I understand the freeplay to compensate for vibration,but its too loose.

·
Registered
169 Posts
ssmendez said:
The tach is just loose.I understand the freeplay to compensate for vibration,but its too loose.
There is a member (knifemaker) who makes a nice looking stainless steel shroud that goes around both tach and speedo and supports them and keeps them from vibrating around.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
The tach tends to wobble a bit more than the speedometer on our bikes. They are held in place by just a single arm bracket and this tends to weaken and break, giving the tach that droopy look. You might check the bracket mounting inside the insturment cluster to see what condition it is in. Some have fixed it with JB Weld, or re-enforced it with a washer.
I added a brace between the speedo and tach with a piece of brushed aluminum L bracket. Just drill the holes in and use the existing screws from the back of the buckets. Also provides a handy spot to mount a clock or voltmeter!
tachbrace1.jpg

tachbrace2.jpg

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is easy and cool.Thanks my play is comming from inside the tach .There must be some sort of screw inside that holds the tach onto the bracket..

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
There is, and you can take the bucket off and check. It could be one or both of the dampers is/are broken.
http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/400_0213/meters/meters.bmp

Good news is, they are fairly inexpensive
Part Number: 92075-1714
Description: DAMPER,METER
Source: KAWASAKI
Price: $4.90

My rule of thumb is, if one is broke the other may follow soon so replace both.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts