Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
94 vn750, I did my stator replacement, put it all back together, however when I ran my clutch cable it doesn't seem to function properly, there's a ton of slack. I ran it exactly as the service manual said but I have absolutely no tension at my handle. It worked just fine before I pulled the motor. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Try pulling the clutch cable lever off the clutch input shaft on the motor and reattaching it a few splines "backwards" to put more tension on the input shaft. You may also have to rotate the input shaft before installing the clutch cable lever so that it's in the "fully forward" position

Definitely took me some adjusting to get it right after doing the job on mine

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Try pulling the clutch cable lever off the clutch input shaft on the motor and reattaching it a few splines "backwards" to put more tension on the input shaft. You may also have to rotate the input shaft before installing the clutch cable lever so that it's in the "fully forward" position

Definitely took me some adjusting to get it right after doing the job on mine
ding ding ding.winner winner chicken dinner.

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

Reactions: ubertalldude

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess the bike is smarter than I am, I just can't get tension to the point where my handle returns with tension

·
Registered
730 Posts
Awesome, thanks doc. I like mine grilled or with black pepper.

Hope you got some Sweet baby Ray's to go with it ;)

·
Registered
730 Posts
I guess the bike is smarter than I am, I just can't get tension to the point where my handle returns with tension
Just to be sure, you have the clutch cable lever attached to the clutch input shaft such that the clutch cable is closer connected to that lever between the motor and the clutch input shaft, right? Seems to me like you may have it backwards if it won't return on the force of the clutch springs alone (those suckers are strong)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I keep looking at the manual and I'm stumped. Should my shaft be loose or should it have it's own tension, I can move it back and forth

·
Registered
730 Posts
Shaft is loose but you should turn it fully counterclockwise (if looking at the bike from ABOVE, what I mean is the side of the shaft closest to the motor should be all the way forward) and then you can attach the clutch cable lever maybe 1-2 splines further than the halfway point so that the clutch cable is more tensioned.

·
Super Moderator
2,569 Posts
+1 to all of the above.. and I will throw in one more thing to check (but probably not it in this case).

check the clutch lever at the pivot point in the perch on the bars.. Mine got stiff and while it would pull normally, it would not return. I found that the bolt that goes thru the lever had seized on the LEVER. removal, clean, grease and all better now.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Awesome, thanks doc. I like mine grilled or with black pepper.

Hope you got some Sweet baby Ray's to go with it ;)
of course I have Sweet Baby Rays

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm having the exact same problem. You're saying to take off the bracket that the cable attaches to and rotate the shaft, then reattach the bracket and cable?

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
@;
I'm having the exact same problem. You're saying to take off the bracket that the cable attaches to and rotate the shaft, then reattach the bracket and cable?
Yes, the part about rotating the shaft is actually in the manual. I forget which direction though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
@;

Yes, the part about rotating the shaft is actually in the manual. I forget which direction though.

Clockwise. Got it. Thanks a ton. Unfortunately, I'm the guy that had to pull it all apart again so that I could UNDERSTAND how it works and couldn't just make it work and be done with it. But its in now. Now I just have to fight the clutch cable routing to get it all to line up right. Minor details that I wish I had paid more attention to when pulling it all apart.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts