Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've searched the posts on handlebars/grips and found lots of great info, but no clear answer to my questions.
My wife would love to change her bars to a more "beach-bar" style like the 900's. What have all of you done?

1. Is it easiest to keep a 7/8" bar (Like the flanders) and buy the more limited number of accessories available for them (Specifically the grips)?
2. If I go 1" (drag bars most likely) can the switch boxes be hogged-out to fit the 1" bar? (I have a lathe and mill, so doing the actual work is no prob.)
3. Are there any other issues I am not considering in swapping bars (other than the switchboxes, cable length, wiring, etc.)?

I have seen some great installs in the gallery and look forward to the advice of the 'sperts. Thanks in advance.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't think there'd be enough material on the switch boxes (or handlebar controls) to open them up to 1".

There are adaptors for the triple tree clamps to go from 7/8" to 1", so that wouldn't be a problem. (but if you have a mill & the tooling, you could most likely make your own)

As long as you're going with shorter bars, there shouldn't be issues with any of the cables, aside from being sure that with the extra amount of cable you'd then have, they don't end up binding up somewhere.

Is there a specific style/type of grip your wife is looking to use?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a specific style/type of grip your wife is looking to use?
She loves the Jardine Cruiser Grips ($154:wow:) and they fit the 800, 15 & 1600, so I assume they are 1".

So the options on the switchboxes are to obtain ones from a bike w/1" bars which shouldn't be that difficult.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts