Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I need some help.

I am in the process of putting the bike back together after replacing the stator. As advised, I ordered crankshaft dampers to do some PM while I had everything apart. I have read everything I could find on removing the alt rotor bolt. I put a non-copper penny between the gears and have gone through ( cut them in half) two of them trying to get the rotor bolt to budge. I have the 18mm X 1.5mm X 60mm bolt on hand to remove the rotor if I can get to that point by removing the rotor bolt.

Any recommendations for loosening the rotor bolt?

Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do I have it backwards? I thought the rotor bolt was normal threads and the balancer bolt was left handed threads. Here is what I copied from one of Lance's posts?

• Make sure you remove the balancer gear bolt first. "left hand threads"
• Just shimmy a penny between the gears to hold them in place.
• First loosening the balancer bolt (clockwise) and then the rotor bolt (counterclockwise).
• Make sure you line up the marks on the rotor and gear, use blue thread locker on balancer bolt.

So is the rotor bolt turn CCW (rh threads) to remove or is it the balancer bolt?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Confirmed, balancer bolt is LH (CW to loosen). Just broke my third penny trying to get the rotor bolt to budge (CCW)...................

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any ideas for losening the rotor bolt? Is it safe to use something other than a penny between the gears? I think I read where a few people used a washer.........

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
I just had a similar fight with the primary gear bolt of a Honda V65.

Don't use a penny between the gears. It works if the bolt is not jammed, but only puts a huge stress on the bearings if the bolt is stuck. Instead, use a piece of mild flat steel bar as far as possible from where the teeth of the two gears make contact. Not too far - you want it to still lock in place when you apply torque to the bolt.

I had to extend the handle of my wrench with a 3 foot piece of pipe before i could break the bolt free.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the Help

After breaking a strap wrench, and then finding out the cost for a KAW fly wheel holder was $250, I decided to use a chain wrench and a rag for protection. Finally got the bolt off and it was worth it since one of the dampers had a cracked collar. Now it is time to start putting it back together!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts