Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a 93 that had been sitting for about 5 years. Had the carbs cleaned and balanced and the front brakes bled. The mechanic said that the cooling fan wasn't coming on and traced the problem to it not being plugged into the junction/fuse box. He said that there was nowhere to plug it in so it must have the wrong box. He said it should be okay to ride it until I got the correct box. I got it registered today and rode it to the gas station to fill it up. It ran fine until right before I got to the station when it sputtered a couple of times then died as I rolled into a parking space. I put it in neutral and hit the starter and nothing. I then noticed that there was no juice to the system. I turned the key off and on a couple of times and the juice came back and it started but ran rough and only revved a little more than idle when I noticed the tach was jumping between 6-7k, then it died again. I called the mechanic and he said he thought it was related to the junction/fuse box. My question is what do you guys think it could be? It might be why it's been sitting for 5 years and why I got it for $700. Also it has a brand new lead acid battery.

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
First thought is faulty charging system. Next thought, use these forums to your advantage. Most mechanics are clueless and don't know what we know.

Get a multimeter and check battery voltage. Should be a bit more than 12 volts at idle or with bike off. If you are not seeing that, then something is screwy with stator or the regulator / rectifier. Start there and let us know what you read.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next thought, use these forums to your advantage. Most mechanics are clueless and don't know what we know.

Get a multimeter and check battery voltage. Should be a bit more than 12 volts at idle or with bike off. If you are not seeing that, then something is screwy with stator or the regulator / rectifier. Start there and let us know what you read.
First part is exactly why I'm here!:smiley_th

Not sure that charging system would cause it to have no juice at all. I'll get a multimeter to check the readings if I can get juice back to start and let the forum know what I get. Thanks for the reply. :rockon:

·
2,527 Posts
Check all your grounds and make sure your battery cables are on tight, they wiggle loose sometimes.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Also check them at the frame.
Be aware, dirty contacts in the ignition switch have caused similiar problems...
....just sayin'

:smiley_th +1

·
Registered
3,353 Posts

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
look closely at the fuse box for spilled battery acid, or wires the look like they got hot. inside the fuse box are 5 relays. 1 relay works the cooling fan. I have seen these relays fail, in fact I have seen them fail so much that I used to rebuild the fuse box to put in normal automotive relays to get rid of the problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update

Well, I went out to the garage and the bike was still dead, Took off the seat and checked the battery cables and they appeared to be tight. Took off the side covers and checked the connections there and then the junction/fuse box. The fuses were fine and still had no juice. Pulled off the top wiring connector and all appeared clean, I'll get something to spray on the connectors to clean them. Reattached the connector and checked for juice again and low an behold, it had juice! I started the bike and it seemed to idle normally. Also, hand written in white ink on the back of the junction/fuse box was 91 92 and another number, which makes me think it's a used one and maybe the wrong one like the mechanic suggested. I'm going to get another one but for now I THINK I've found the problem. Thanks every one for the suggestions and any more comments and suggestions are definitely welcome. :beerchug:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since it was running again, I decided to ride it to the gas station again, with the same results only it died about 1/4 mile short of where it died yesterday. So, since I know where this problem is, I need to come up with a solution. Since it appears to be the plug losing contact, these possible fixes are what I've thought of...

1. Dielectric grease on the contacts
2. Slightly bend the male prongs to make better contact
3. Tie the plug tight with string to keep it in place

Any other suggestions? I've PM'd Greco38 about the fuse box he's selling from his '99.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
While tinkering with it with the key on, it became obvious that the plug didn't like being pushed all the way in. The juice to the system would cut off when I pushed in on the plug and if slightly tugged on it would come back on. So, I pulled it out a little more and it seems to have fixed the problem. I even rode the bike on a freeway cruise around the valley and put almost 60 miles on it without even a hiccup! :beerchug:

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
Maybe good karma is keeping.you away from that gas staion. Might want to find a different fill station.:doh:

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
polish the connections with fine sand paper or emery board....both ends should get cleaned. Then clean then with alcohol. The contacts are most likely glazed over and need a good cleaning.
The Junction box for any year should work for your bike...it was the same for all years.
I have a spare if you need one.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
polish the connections with fine sand paper or emery board....both ends should get cleaned. Then clean then with alcohol. The contacts are most likely glazed over and need a good cleaning.
The Junction box for any year should work for your bike...it was the same for all years.
My thoughts exactly. Maybe try plugging/unplugging 100 times to scuff it up or just remove one wire at a time and sand the spades. It finds a clean spot when you pull the plug apart.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Bad connections

I have a spare if you need one.
Check all of the connections. Even the battery. Don't just pull on them. Take them apart and clean them. The same with the grounds. After 5 years almost every connection you can reach will have a certain amount of corrosion on it. The battery connections and all the others should be nice and shiny, not dull at all. You can use a small amount of dielectric grease on the plug in connections after they are cleaned. The grease will not help "make" a connection. It will help keep it clean. Sounds like you got a great deal and have fun. The Vulcan is a great bike and almost any problem you encounter has probably been addressed on the site at one time or another. When my son got his I spent about a week just reading past posts. Now I bought one for myself and thanks to this forum I have put almost 4,000 trouble free miles on it.
Don't forget the Verses and check your splines. Ride safe.:rockon:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just got the junction box from kc2dgq and installed it and now my cooling fan is working again! It must have a bad relay in the old one. Thanks all for the help getting my bike back to running right.

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
tk, Just keep posting. We all learn from each other.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Lots of good advice in this thread for everyone. Electrical issues caused by loose or corroded connections, grounds, battery terminals and old wiring can cause you troubles that you might think are fuel delivery related. If your bike suddenly starts running crappy or dies, it's easy to head off in the wrong direction. Of course if there is no power, it is easier to diagnose. Keeping connections clean, or cleaning, sanding and getting them nice a polished and then adding some dielectric grease will save you some headaches, as well as prolong the health of your charging system, stator etc. Weak connections cause your stator and R/R to work harder...

It never hurts to spend a day off just going over the bike's connections from one end to the other maybe once a year to find problems before they leave you stranded.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts